Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pistol is similar to the one on page 140 in Mr. Still's Weimar and Early Nazi Lugers book (I cannot stress enough the inportance of having his books!).
Ser.#5335N, sear safety intact, grip strap marked S.Mg.596. wood bottom mag with 596 gripstrap# and Ser.# 5335, apparently second mag marked with a 2.

Hope my scans are clear enough to get all the details. You experts pick it apart if you please.

Download Attachment: 001.jpg
82.37KB

Download Attachment: 002.jpg
51.25KB

Download Attachment: 003.jpg
50.96KB

Download Attachment: 004.jpg
67.17KB

Download Attachment: 005.jpg
57.38KB

Download Attachment: 006.jpg
56.1KB

Download Attachment: 007.jpg
53.64KB

Download Attachment: 008.jpg
82.3KB

Download Attachment: 009.jpg
121.09KB

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Very interesting, how odd where the unit marking is located! Can I get a picture of that area, but not so close?

Ed

Sorry about that, thanks Jan.

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Bill
Thanks for your excellent presentation and photographs of your 1920 dated police Alphabet DWM, in the "n" suffix serial range. A few of the 1920 dated Alphabet DWM Lugers are found in the "n" suffix serial range.
Jan

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Bill, Ron is correct, it is an affliction several of us have.

Your nit marking is in the oddest location. I have one that is on the toe, like yours touches the toe, but never seen one start there and inch upwards towards the trigger... Most are starting where the 6 is ending...

Ed

· Registered
2,579 Posts
bgoat3

Very nice unit marked weimar police luger. Thankyou for the photo's

Magazine photo's are especially nice to see to show the members that these types of magazines do exist in original form --- not forced matched, everything about your magazine looks correct.

· Copper Bullet Member
3,519 Posts
bgoat3,

Very nice presentation, especially the mag. What is marked on the top of the middle toggle link?

From the photo, it appears that an earlier mark may have been ground off the grip strap, as in the example Jan cites. Can you determine if that is the case and what, if anything, of the earlier mark remains?

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don,
Toggle is marked DWM,

I can only assume that unit number was apparently changed or restamped as you surmised, as the finish is not smooth over the unit numbered portion of the stamp, but no prior numbers can be made out.

The mag body color is a puzzler to me,(has a gold tint that I associate with Erfurt mags), and I will post scans of it out of the pistol later in the week when I am back home, and would welcome comments.

Thank all of you for the comments and info.

Bill

G

·
Billy Goat; Look on the INSIDE of both grip straps to see if there are indentations from earlier unit makings that were sanded off the outside. Also, would someone elaborate on the barrel proof? I have the same on my 1920.

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Bill, 1sax meant on the inside of the metal part, I have one that there is a very slight indentation, i.e. have to read backwards marking on the metal. I have seen barrel proofs with oves, more often with eagles, from what I understand, it means either;

1. barrel was replaced by a armory
2. it was accepted by the police
3. accepted by another gov't agency

Ed

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Bill, 1sax meant on the inside of the metal part, I have one that there is a very slight indentation, i.e. have to read backwards marking on the metal. I have seen barrel proofs with oves, more often with eagles, from what I understand, it means either;

1. barrel was replaced by a armory
2. it was accepted by the police
3. accepted by another gov't agency

Ed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.