Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have I got? I bought this today. The dealer really did'nt know much about them. He had it labeled as a 4th variation Sauer 38H, because he was told that was what it was. Can someone enlighten me on this? I know it's a late issue 38H. And that's about all I know. Spare mag was gone. Holster is well made, but unmarked.Ser#465759. It's fairly minty. Hairline crack on right grip from screw hole. And very slight bit of freckling in a couple of places. E/N proofed on slide below rear sight, below ser#, and on barrel. All on right side.

Download Attachment: 101_0165.JPG
103.26 KB

Download Attachment: 101_0166.jpg
198.29 KB

Download Attachment: 101_0167.jpg
90.92 KB

Download Attachment: 101_0168.jpg
84.36 KB

Download Attachment: 101_0170.JPG
114.55 KB

Thanks! Ron

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
Your pistol is correctly identified as a Type 4 Sauer. Production of this varient began in late 1943. The legand on the left side of the slide was changed to read simply "Cal 7.65" and the right legand was eliminated. The finish was milled, with polishing eliminated to speed producton. This period was the most intensive of all wartime production for Sauer.The thumb safety was dropped from production about SN 470000, creating the Type 4a. Your Sauer was produced in late 1944 or early 1945. The lack of a WaA or E/C on the left side of the trigger guard would indicate this gun was of commercal manufacture, and probably purchased by an officer (the officers had to provide their own sidearms and holsters). This would also explain the unmarked holster. Both Heer officers and the Luftwaffe used brown holsters, so the branch is anybodies guess. The grips had no fiber reinforcement, and so are VERY brittle and easily broken. Take care with them, as originals are un-replaceable! Hope any of this helps.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sauer, Thankyou very much! That helps alot. I really appreciate all of the information. I've never really looked at the 38H before. They are neat little pistols. A pretty advanced design.

Thanks again, Ron

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sauer, Thankyou very much! That helps alot. I really appreciate all of the information. I've never really looked at the 38H before. They are neat little pistols. A pretty advanced design.

Thanks again, Ron

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
I love these little pistols. The design and engineering are superior to anything else available at the time. If not for lousy timing, I think the Sauer would have given the PP and PPK a real run for their money! They shoot good, too.

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
I love these little pistols. The design and engineering are superior to anything else available at the time. If not for lousy timing, I think the Sauer would have given the PP and PPK a real run for their money! They shoot good, too.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ed, Pete, and Doug, Thanks for the response'. I have found another one for about the same price. An earlier one. I may grab it too.If my C&R ever gets here!! I'm tired of depending on dealers and paying their fees.
Can anyone give me a quick education on field stripping this little booger?
Thanks! Ron

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ed, Pete, and Doug, Thanks for the response'. I have found another one for about the same price. An earlier one. I may grab it too.If my C&R ever gets here!! I'm tired of depending on dealers and paying their fees.
Can anyone give me a quick education on field stripping this little booger?
Thanks! Ron

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ron,

thanks for restoring the vanished photos, especially for the photo of the left side. A nice minty "commercial" !

Regards

Martin

P.S.: Sorry for confusing you in my last email with the "confession" sentance. Well, must be my personal "blonde's day" today. it was, of course, Ron Wood, who "confessed" in an other post:

quote:No, I am not the "famous Guitar player". A real loss for the Rolling Stones as I am much better looking and more talented...a virtual legend in my own mind.
The sort of humor I just LOVE !

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi Ron:
Hope you and your family are doing well.That is a nice 38H.Mine is one of the first E/N police units and I like it very much.Just day before yesterday I snagged an original spare mag for mine off of Ebay.The only think I dislike about them is there is no hold open,which I think was a big factor on its sales along with no exposed hammer.After the war they decided not to make them anymore and started making 9 shot 22cal western style pistols.I had one and it was nice but decided to part with it on a trade for a Ford GPW WW2 Jeep.Finally they teamed up with Sig and you know the rest of the story.If I am not mistaken,that is a PP holster,the way the closing strap is arranged.
You take care out there in the mountains and we will be typing again soon. Your Friend Danny

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Danny, We're all doing fine out chere in Auragon. My best to yours also.

This is an old post. Martin e-mailed me with a request to restore some of the photos which had dissappeared. I kind of stumbled onto this pistol while looking for Lugers at a local shop. The dealer had it for quite a while and was happy to sell it for what he paid for it. For some reason, German pocket autos don't sell well around here.

Martin indicated that there was something interesting about it that he would divulge at a later date. You know about these sneaky Germans. Go in looking for a used VW and end up coming home with a new BMW. ;-D

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
quote:For some reason, German pocket autos don't sell well around here.
Seems, I have to travel to Oregon....

"Sneaky Germans", hu.. ? Well, Ron, I hoped to be able to let the cat out of the bag yesterday, but German mail is awful slow (but expensive) sometimes.... Hopefully, tomorrow or on Tuesday I can show my new toy. Then you will know.

Martin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.