Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Peter
Re: "S.L.Pol.4964".
I an not certain of this marking. However , I will make a guess. According to the 1922 orders S.L. signifies: Schutzpolizei Luneburg (The added Pol. seems unnecessary) S.L.Pol.4964. signifies: Schutzpolizei Luneburg weapon number 4964. (Gortz page 93)

Note: According to the 1932 markings orders the abbreviation for the Luneberg District is Lg. (Gortz page 103)

Perhaps some member has a more certain/correct answer.
Jan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello student1979,

I am not sure, but I have another guess. Since the orders to mark police equipment from 1922 and from 1932 belong only to Prussia, the mark might belong to another state in the German Reich. In my opinion it could also read "Sächsische Landes-Polizei" weapon nr. 4964. If I remember well a similar mark has been mentioned in some other posting, but I forgot were I read about it.

To me it sounds very unlikely that a relative small police force like the Lüneburg police force would go with weapon numbers as high as 4964. It seems to be more logical to me that a whole state (like Saxonia) would count up to numbers that high. But so far, there is no proof, just guessing.

Best regards, Andy

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Andy,
Your guess may be on the mark, sounds good to me. However, take into consideration "4964" is not a weapon number, it is a "property" number. Property number "4963" might have been a typewriter! Rifles, pistols and other property were assigned numbers, which may lead to a false conclusion about the size of the organization.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Peter, Andreas, and Ron
Like Ron I agree with Andreas. S.L.Pol.4964 is better explained by Sächsische Landes-Polizei(the Pol is not extraneous).

As Ron stated, the weapons markings include weapons, cleaning sets, machine gun equipment, field glasses, and bicycles (Gortz, Bryans page 91). It is not stated if all equipment will be consecutive in one series of numbers or consecutive within each class, type and model. The weapons numbers on large Police forces such as Berlin reached very large numbers (up to 15000) as expected.
Jan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.