Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
gunbroker is just another on-line source. No better, no worse than other auction sites.
On line dealers, there is where your homework works better. People can praise or complain about a dealer, but on an auction site, its up to each buyer checking out each seller.

that said, I have bought a number of things from gunbroker and sold a number of things on there.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gunbroker is just another on-line source. No better, no worse than other auction sites.
On line dealers, there is where your homework works better. People can praise or complain about a dealer, but on an auction site, its up to each buyer checking out each seller.

that said, I have bought a number of things from gunbroker and sold a number of things on there.
Thanks. I suppose like much things in life - know what you are wading into and caveat emptor apply. Thanks Edward.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
GB has gotten expensive. It charges tax and fees, then there is shipping. A recent purchase for $650 ended up close to $750. If LC or HotW has what I’m looking for at a comparable price, I prefer to buy from them. No tax (I’m out of state), no fees, just shipping. And the reputation and assurance of the seller. Even so, it’s up to me to know what I’m buying.

JGW

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I am pleased with my GB acquisitions. But, GB or anywhere online it's a jungle.

My personal rules for buying on GB:
1. Know what you are buying. Re: Lugers, know the variation and know what photos of it should look like.
2. Photos must be sharp, clear and adequate to judge the piece per #1.
3. Seller must have significant feedback, virtually all of it positive.
4. Avoid any seller with even the slightest red flag - overblown descriptions, too many caveats, anything.
5. Ask the seller a question, it will provide insight into how he deals with people. Then compare his response to #4.
6. Only buy via credit card. Credit card companies typically charge disputes back to the seller, so sellers who take CCs tend to run their business so as not to get in disputes. I know this from running a business that accepts credit cards.
7. Only buy from sellers with a clear and generous return policy. Somewhat redundant given rule #6, but online you need everything in your favor if possible.

I probably look at hundreds of items for every one I actually bid on. There is no way around it - online, you had better do the work or you will be scammed.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
#6 - that eliminates most private sellers. I won't take Paypal because someone wants to use their credit card.
I'll take a check or money order - and i have the capability to run a CC, but then thats another 2.5%

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have bought and sold on GunBroker. I am probably really lucky but I haven't been scammed yet. I have gambled on some guns that had poor photos and have gotten some steals and one or two clunkers.
Shipping is what can kill you on some items on GB. But locally the pistols I am interested in just don't come up so I am forced to shop online

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have bought and sold on GunBroker. I am probably really lucky but I haven't been scammed yet. I have gambled on some guns that had poor photos and have gotten some steals and one or two clunkers.
Shipping is what can kill you on some items on GB. But locally the pistols I am interested in just don't come up so I am forced to shop online
Everything I have bought so far has been new guns - Sig Sauer mostly - but I am always looking on the older stuff and just trying not to pay my "tuition" any sooner than or for any more than I have to. From all of the conversations I have read on here it does sound like most if not everyone gets "scammed" to a certain degree, especially on Lugers, but I want to try and hold out as long as possible. My purchases so far have been from Rock Island Auction (will think twice about that one again after all the fees - OUCH!), LC, HofTW, and Checkpoint Charlie. My focus has been Mauser's from WW2 but in the last few weeks or so these have just flown off the shelves at the dealers I have mentioned above. I don't know what happened but anything Mauser Luger WW2 has become as scarce as can be. Still looking for a couple but for the moment it's becoming harder. I have only been at it for a short time but in this time there were always plenty around. Now almost none.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
IMHO - rock island is scarier than gunbroker :)
They just label most lugers as being reblued, worked on etc.
you can ask for better pictures, but then you can do that on any other auction

actually all the big auction houses do the same thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've bought a Remington rolling block rifle, C96 M30, Mauser FR8, several new firearms, and several bayonets from gunbroker.
There's no guarantees in life, if you're not comfortable gambling then you're limited to what you find locally.
That said, I've never been burned. I'm not looking for museum pieces nor investments, just example pieces with honest wear for their age.
Always paid with PayPal or credit card.
Take time to learn about what you're looking at and decide how much it's worth to you.
Ask questions, ask for specific photos, if they don't respond within 24 hours, walk away.
I've been lucky I guess, item was as described, shipped fast.
Fees have gone up that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
GB purchases to date

4 HK Lugers [ returned one ]
3 HK mags
2 holsters

1 un-fired M1861 U.S. TRENTON musket .
Still had the very petrified grease on it .
NJ marked one so it never saw service in the war - just like all other M1861 NJ marked Trentons.

The 1937 HK I returned had been touched up.
Of course the family did not know grandpa had been screwed .

So sad and it is really not that hard to tell on these !!!!

Thumbs up here and yes there are plenty bad ones there but that just makes it more of a challenge 🤪

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have bought guns and ammo off GB a few times and have not had any issues. However, it seems more and more there are ppl that post a gun for sale and use pictures from someone else's listing. A way around this is to request the seller to send you a picture of the item with a current newspaper or something similar.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
I've bought from RIA, but I ask for additional pictures and they provide them. Picked up a few deals, and paid a bit more, but knowledge is everything and research.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts