Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
To my knowledge, none of the main W.German users of the post-war P1 ever had brown leather holsters and gear. All used black, plus there was white for the Feldjäger (MP) and the Wachbataillon (honor guard) of the Bundeswehr.

PS: Don‘t know much about the Austrian Bundesheer, but a cursory image search seems to indicate they use or used brown leather. That might have included P38 holsters sourced in W.Germany.

·
Registered
525 Posts
There are plenty of these C. Riese holsters dated 61 and 62 to be found in black. Riese obviously made those for “export” to the Western part of Germany as nobody in West Berlin needed P38/P1 holsters before later 1963, apart from a handful of svw-marked P38’s issued in the French sector. So too the brown ones, which could have been for another country or even a privat/corporate armed “Werkschutz” in W.Germany or adjacent country.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That‘s a very nice “pre-P1” police edition with cancelled BMI stamp. The serial on the magazine bottom is interesting. If the price were more realistic, say half of the starting bid, I’d be interested.

You’re right, that’s definitely the same type of brown holster we’re discussing here. Of course, with these Interarms “sets” you never know when gun and holster first met up. But it does appear these were indeed issued.

·
Registered
525 Posts
However, the question remains if this Brown Holster & Pistol were actually purchased together, or just for the sake of argument, perhaps this unit was missing its Holster, & the Seller, or Dealer simply added what he had laying around ? Also, I always thought the BMI mkg indicated BW issue, or property, as opposed to Polizei issue, although I may indeed be wrong ?
As a general rule, being reason familiar with W.German issuance practices in the 1970s/80s, I would say generally none of the BW/Bw or BMI pistols ever had such a thing as “its holster”. Holsters were issued as personal kit to the individual, pistols as needed from the armory. Pistols were part of unit inventory and assigned to a position, so as someone was reassigned or promoted, even within a unit, he was assigned a different pistol, but not a new holster.

So what wholesalers/importers like Interarms got were cases of pistols, however packaged, and boxes of holsters, and somebody in a warehouse in the US put the pistol, any paperwork and spare mags with it, and a holster from a big box into the nice Interarms box, serial-numbered the box, and off it went to the dealer.

As for the BMI: Bundesministerium des Innern, Federal Ministry of the Interior, in charge of gun procurement for the Bundesgrenzschutz, the Federal border police, main user of the police edition of the P38/P1.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I should give my P.1 another look, as I don't recall observing any Crossed out or X'd out stamps / markings. However, we must remember that my example is not the same as some of the other pistols, as it was manufactured, or at least assembled by Manhurin in France expressly for issue to, & use by the W. Berlin Police Force, as the way I understand it, they were allowed any German produced weapons, due to Treaty restrictions put it place intially by the Allies during the Post War era......
A while ago I summarized the background of these in this thread:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.