Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I should give my P.1 another look, as I don't recall observing any Crossed out or X'd out stamps / markings. However, we must remember that my example is not the same as some of the other pistols, as it was manufactured, or at least assembled by Manhurin in France expressly for issue to, & use by the W. Berlin Police Force, as the way I understand it, they were allowed any German produced weapons, due to Treaty restrictions put it place intially by the Allies during the Post War era......
A while ago I summarized the background of these in this thread:

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry a bit late to the thread, but stumbled on it in a search! Brown holsters and leather gear were used by Meister (senior NCO equivalents) and officer ranks of BGS (border guard) until mid 70s. This included holsters for the P38/P1 since early 60s. Only user of these brown holsters. In 70s black leather was adopted for all ranks, but previously only used by the lower ranks in BGS.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
THANK YOU 'bg2022' for your above reply !! That, at least to my knowledge, is the very first time I have ever been advised of this most interesting fact. We all pretty much knew that they had to have been produced in that particular color for some specific reason, yet couldn't determine exactly what, or for whom ? Your information does correspond to the manufacture date of my particular example, which is 1962. And naturally with the overall ratio of Senior NCO's as opposed to the standard Enlisted Ranks also tells us why we encounter so few of these Brown examples as opposed to the much more common Black version. So, based upon your information, these Brown models would have been issued to, & or purchased by all of the Senior Grade NCO's & Officer Rank personnel. That's most useful to be aware of by many of us here on the Forum.

Best, Dom P.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts