Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So R. J. Berger's book "Know Your CZ Pistols" 1989 states that DUO produced over 110,000 pieces. One will find very nice condition Opotchno Frank Dusek designed DUOs 45 dated after the 118000 range which may or many not be at the end of wartime production. Have to consider DUOs were made for the GI's as with other manufacturers post April/May 1945. Does anyone know the start of post war production? If this gripped gun is correct they may have ran out of the plastic grips for a short period. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Normally I would say any wood grips on guns that aren't supposed to have them are bad, but whoever did those grips did a nice job, almost as if it were done in a factory...

Reactions: Kudzu‘s Kid

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Years ago i used to track serial numbers on DUOs but lost the information since my focus had always been on the last of the last late war production pieces. At that time, OPOTSCHNO pieces were the only gun I could afford but they weren't easy to find unless you had a NAPCA contact (pre internet). This piece is appealing and was from a large deceased collector/ELDER in the hobby from New Orleans. Oddity for sure. Normal production no. Right as rain? No. Only way to tell is remove the grips and see if wear is there from plastic grips. If no wear from plastic grips possible factory but more than likely hand made for a GI. Appreciate all the input :) I do find the piece pleasing. Lots of credit to the DUO workers back then putting out a top notch product and not appearing to have any late war production issues since bluing on the post 118,000 range is impeccable. Bergers note in the book states that only 110,000 made so it appears he is off by 8k?? We may never know the last serial number like we do on the CZ 27s.
Normally I would say any wood grips on guns that aren't supposed to have them are bad, but whoever did those grips did a nice job, almost as if it were done in a factory...
whoever made the grips was skilled for sure.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
They aren't bad, whoever did them wasn't a beginner. I could point out a couple things that my dad would have slapped me for had I made them. Hand knurling is an art, anyone who doesn't think so should try it. I have my Grandad's/Dad's knurling tools but they're just hanging out in my "antique gunsmith tool museum". I never enjoyed doing the woodwork when I was a kid, too much pressure.

• Love
Reactions: Kudzu‘s Kid

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JB interesting fact i found on the web about OPOTSCHNO....."German occupation ended on January 17, 1945, when the Wehrmacht was pushed out by the Red Army" This leads to some credibility that 117,000 may be the last made before the Germans left. Why do i say that well the DUO plant had 17 days in January 45 so when production ended what Berger stated if correct they made 110,000 DUOs and numbers dated 1945 post 17 January 45 go into guns when GI's got some real nice pieces in the 118,000 range. Just a thought...Easy to tell when US military arrived in other plants one began to see mismatches like on the PP and PPK's in the white no longer eagle N marked. One would have to find the last 44 stamped DUO and get a production guess what they made per month in 44 which would be east to figure out the last numbers made in 1943.... ...then figure out/estimate how many were made per month in 44 then take that number per month and cut it in half under German occupation in January 1 to 16 1945...roughly...17 days under NAZI production...hope my post makes sense?.

Wish i had my old data could certainly use it today. do you know anyone who has DUO serial numbers? The data solves this problem...did it with bayonet production in 1944 so it is easy when one has the data.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts