Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks, I couldn't decide exactly where to Post this question, so hopefully I've chosen correctly ? I've been thinking about ordering a copy of the above noted publication, & from what I've been able to discern, it's well worth it ! Upon searching, I've noted prices all over the place, from a low of $78 ppd, all the way through some absolutely ridiculous amounts. What is let's say, the 'best' price available ? THANKS

dpast32

·
Administrator
14,259 Posts
Simpson LTD still has them brand new still for $89.99 plus shipping
Brad printed I think 2500 of them?

They have Simson Lugers and vol 1 and vol 2 of Vet Bring Backs - although I have copies here still

Reactions: litteralis

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS Guys ! I guess $78 shipped isn't too bad then ! And Ed, I bought a copy of your absolutely awesome "Police Lugers" book a while ago, & have thoroughly enjoyed it. I already have Jan's Series, although I haven't found my copy of Imperial Lugers yet. ( I will eventually, it's around here somewhere ! ) In even have Jan's initial study from 1982, "The Pistols of Germany & It's Allies in Two World Wars". I also have all the early standards of course, but we all know how limited they were, "Lugers at Random" by Kenyon, Walter's "The Luger Book", etc. Sure, I have a bunch of reference, but can't afford to actively collect Lugers anymore !! I can still try though. I did learn years ago that if you really feel you may be needing any specific pub.eventually, 'buy it now', while still available !! THANKS AGAIN Guys,

Dom P. / dpast32

·
Administrator
14,259 Posts
Dom, are you into police guns?
I got interested in them because I was an army MP - so the Weimar period was fascinating to me and collecting the pistols was how I started collecting, I now think of myself as a Weimar collector mostly, with Simson and Police Lugers my favorite.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ed, I've been collecting Law Enforcement weapons ever since about 1980, primarily from the post 1900 era - the present. My true love of course has always been with Germany's Polizei Forces, from Weimar, 3rd Reich & post-war Berlin issue pieces. ( I used to read Joe Wotka's articles over & over. ) I never had a chance to serve in the Military, as I s tarted my Academy at 20, & turned 21 shortly before going 'on the job'. I did 32 years with the State of RI, but ended up Retiring earlier than I wanted sure an 'out of the blue' blood clot which noe body could figure out where it came from ? I've always been intrigued by European police pistols, & probably as are, very interested in the marked examples. I just bought a new Cell, & as soon as I get it set up, I plan of posting some photos of my more interesting pieces. As you can probably tell by some of my posts, I absolutely love 'documented' items with paperwork.

Best, Dom

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for the record, I ordered my copy of "HWIS" today, at the grand total of $85, via USPS Priority Mail. I would have gotten a few dollars cheaper, but they charged me the Sales Tax. All in all, based upon the prices II've noted, that didn't appear to be too bad.

Also, I asked the seller to confirm that it was a Hard Cover, but I haven't had a reply as of yet. Was it ever published in a Soft Cover, P.B. edition, or just Hard Cover ? THANKS

Best, Dom P.

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
It was only printed as a hard cover with dust jacket.

The accompanying web site was taken down after his passing, but I saved a backup of it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANK YOU My Friend, That's exactly what I was hoping for, & wanted to hear. As we all know when dealing with specific reference pub's, you either buy them when available, or you pay BIG money down the road !! Take care,

Best, Dom P.

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
I has been frustrating to lose friends and authors the last couple of years. We are fortunate to have their books as a lasting legacy though.

But I miss getting in touch personally and through the forums, talking about new acquisitions and asking advice. And even scarier to discover to be the left over 'expert' because the others died :oops:

Reactions: Edward Tinker
1 - 11 of 11 Posts