Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Are all Sights Calibrated for the same distance?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  heckinohio 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Eric,
Not only are all sights not set for the same distance, but two 1911 Colt 45's may not have the same aiming point. This goes for all guns. No two barrels will throw the Bullet the same place. That's why we practice shooting with our guns. Most pistols have sights that can be adjusted for windage, but not for elevation. Once you learn where your pistol is hitting, for elevation, you have "hold-over" or "hold under".
Pat

Reactions: Edward Tinker
#4 ·
It is my understanding the LP.08 pistols were supposed to be aimed out to 200 meters with the rear sight fully extended.
The P.08 of WWI had its front sight changed to 25 meters as I recall. This info has been published before but I do not remember where.

#5 ·
Jim,
It was probably in Dagit's book. I remember it had information on the rear artillery sight, As you raised the rear sight for elevation, it also moved in an oblique direction, to correct for bullet drift.
Eric, The calibrations on the rear sight are just a guide, the gun may not shoot there, just because you set the sight at 200 meters.
Pat

Reactions: cirelaw
#6 ·
At one time I seriously thought I would make a "target" gun out of an Artillery. I worked up and down in loads that would insure reliable function, but all that resulted for lots of in the field rounds off an old hassock bottom with a small sandbag from a picnic table was reliable function. I couldnt make a group to satisfy what I thought might be impressive to pistol shooters. That was in the late 1960's........

PJH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.