Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a new serial number to add to the Armand Gavage survey, ser. no. 3993.

Armand Gavage 7.65mm pistol survey?

From the survey, it appears that just under 5,000 total units were produced in Belgium during the late 1930s through the end of German Occupation in mid-1944. German and Belgian proofed specimens were interspersed throughout production.

I was very fortunate to find this previously unrecorded Belgian Proofed piece through a local purchase. It cleaned up to be a 97% beauty with correct nickle mag and horn grips.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The holster is also quite interesting. It shows no evidence of holding any gun other than this Armand Gavage, and the pistol fits perfectly.

No maker or inspection markings are visible. But there once were metal emblems attached to the top flap. Top center was an Eagle/Swastika. Mid-center was a #1. And left and right edges appear to have once had Death's Head emblems. Unfortunately, all emblems are long gone.

· Registered
2,331 Posts
wow....very nice.....a great pickup! They are rare indeed. I have no clue how they decided which were German proofed and which were Belgium. They are interspersed. Likewise the same with the grips. Some got wood. They are unique for sure. I agree about your holster. It is different then mine, which came with the gun. BUT...you can clearly see the imprint of the gun in your holster and thus it probably was issued with it. Mine also has the imprint of the gun in it. Therefore, it suggests that multiple styles exist.

Attachments

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow....very nice.....a great pickup! They are rare indeed. I have no clue how they decided which were German proofed and which were Belgium. They are interspersed. Likewise the same with the grips. Some got wood. They are unique for sure. I agree about your holster. It is different then mine, which came with the gun. BUT...you can clearly see the imprint of the gun in your holster and thus it probably was issued with it. Mine also has the imprint of the gun in it. Therefore, it suggests that multiple styles exist.
With so few in production, I am not sure they were issued with a standard holster. But yours, like mine, seemed to house only one gun through its lifetime.

· Registered
181 Posts
With so few in production, I am not sure they were issued with a standard holster. But yours, like mine, seemed to house only one gun through its lifetime.
Did you get such a good price on it because it had no Waffenamt stamps on it? Its in really nice condition from the pics posted. There's one that's been on GB for months the seller is trying to get $2200 for. That's high but $675 is really cheap for one.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you get such a good price on it because it had no Waffenamt stamps on it? Its in really nice condition from the pics posted. There's one that's been on GB for months the seller is trying to get $2200 for. That's high but $675 is really cheap for one.
The seller knew somewhat about the gun. His main concern was to double his money. So, he bought it under $350!

The one on Gunbroker has more high surface and edge wear than mine, but it is still in great condition. My guess is that if he started it at a penny, he would get his money.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a quick pic with the action open. I stuck a clothespin into the right side breech opening, it can actually move about 3/8" further back.

As you can see, the barrel and recoil spring housing remain stationary to the frame. The breech block houses the firing pin and extractor. There is an internal hammer inside the frame.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts