Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presented here is the other Mauser M1934 I acquired along with the Kriegsmarine rig I posted pictures of last weekend. This one is the Army E/655 test proof E/N model-see picture of left rear frame and top of slide behind rear sight. This one is serial number 584416. This is a complete rig with 1940 dated breakaway holster , two Mauser banner stamped magazines and capture declaration. This is a beautiful finished pistol with high polish salt blue finish and all matching numbers. Full serial number on left forward slide and last three digits on rear frame above grip, side plate above the trigger and on barrel retaining lug. Jan reports in Axis Pistols that it is estimated Army procurement of this model was around 8,000 pistols and the serial numbers run in the range of 589562--624225. So this one is earlier than the earliest reported serial Jan shows in Axis Pistols page number 35 by well over 5,000 pistols. Whittington in his book “German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945” shows the range as 584000-627000 and estimates Army procurement of around 14,000 pistols. In any event, this is an early one and the fit and finish are simply outstanding. The holster that came with the pistol is marked on the top outside corner of the breakaway flap Genschow & Co AG Berlin 1940. The holster is in very excellent condition and very sound structurally (no loose threading). Inside the holster just below the purplish/blue ink stamp MAUSER are in ink printed the name Fishman and above that the initials M. K. F. This is the name of the soldier/person declaring capture of the pistol on the capture certificate dated October 1, 1945--see picture. I am pleased and thrilled to add this Army M1934 rig with capture documentation to my collection. Now on to the pictures……..
Download Attachment: Army E 655 M1934 Left Side.jpg
96.36KB
Download Attachment: Army E 655 M1934 Right Side.jpg
77.1KB
Download Attachment: Army E 655 M1934 Rig.jpg
82.8KB
Download Attachment: Army e 655 M1934 Closeup Left Side marks.jpg
48.35KB
Download Attachment: Army E 655 M1934 E N Proof.jpg
62.66KB
Download Attachment: Army E 655 M1934 Banner Marked Magazine Bases.jpg
65.1KB
Download Attachment: Army E 655 M1934 Left Side Angle 1.jpg
53.98KB
Download Attachment: Army E 655 M1934 Holster Front.jpg
77.38KB
Download Attachment: Army E 655 Holster Date and Maker.jpg
61.88KB
Download Attachment: Army E 655 Holster Inside Shot.jpg
60.33KB
Download Attachment: Army E 655 M1934 Capture Paper.jpg
74.47KB

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jan,

Thank you very much! I have been very fortunate lately in finding and acquiring some wonderful WWII era German military pistol rigs. I appreciate this forum and the opportunity to show off some of them. Best Regards, Lloyd in Vegas

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fritz,

Thanks for your kind remarks on my early Army M1934 rig find! There is quite a wide range between our two Army M1934s. Have you posted pictures of this late M1934 on the forum? If not I would love to see some pictures. Have you seen any Army M1934s with a lower serial number than mine? THANKS

Ed,

Thank you for your nice remarks on my good fortune of finding these two M1934 rigs--much appreciated!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lloyd,

Excellent presentation of a beautiful rig! See you at the show at Mandalay Bay on 28/29/30 January ?

About a month ago I was having a cup of coffee at my local gun shop, and mentioned that I was going to try and make it to this show, so the shop owner, his wife, and another local collector said that sounded like a good idea! So there will be four of us headed that way on Friday, Jan 28th. The other two guys are Colt collectors, but I guess that's alright :)

Best regards,

Charles

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fritz,

I will remain patiently anxious to see the pictures of your late Mauser E/655 tp M1934(smile)! I know we all have to make a living to support our vintage military pistol collecting habit. I just got home from work after a rough day on the stock market trading desk at my firm. Vintage collectible pistols are looking like a better investment right now than the stock market!

Charles,

Yes, I will be at the show on Friday the 28th with my collecting buddy Dean Gizzi (dgiz) from CA. It would be a pleasure to meet another Axis Pistol collector. We will be there in the morning not long after the show opens. Send me an email at [email protected] and lets discuss a place to meet and exchange cell numbers or something.

You going to the SOS/NGD shows next month in Louisville? Dean and I will both be at those shows from Thursday the 24th through Sunday the 27th.

Thanks for you kind remarks on this recent Army E/655 tp M1934 acquisition. It was really my good fortune of having a friend like Dean that steered me to an introduction with this collector and now I have acquired 5 mauser pistols from him. Dean has acquired some very nice Axis pistols also! Oh the twists and turns of collecting vintage military pistols but having good collector friends/acquaintances is really the key to building a nice collection in the long run I believe. Networking with the NAPCA collectors doesn't hurt either! Hope to visit with you soon. Lloyd

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ed,

That's what I'm afraid of! If we spot too many good pieces, we might all end up in debt!

I'm used to contributing to the Vegas/Clark County economy on the crap tables, and the blackjack tables, but this will be a new experience for me. I'm not used to attending a show of this quality.

Are you going to be there? I see from your profile that you're not all that far away?

Best regards,

Charles

·
Registered
861 Posts
Alright! The whole group invading Lloyd's home turf! I try to avoid the Craps tables in favor of the Gun Tables! Lets hope for a good show!
I look forward to seeing everybody there. I will be there on Friday afternoon (I will call you Lloyd). Everybody who is travelling, be safe!
Dean

By the way, is the Sales Reciept a modern version of a "captue paper"?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fritz,

Thank you! Very nice pictures of your late E/655 M1934. Your late one looks like it is in excellent condition. What kind of bluing does it have? Even though it is a late one, these Army M1934s through the whole run apparently were very nicley polished and finished. I guess they were all still early enough to escape the so called "military finish" of late war years. Interesting to have pictures in this same thread of a very early one and a very late one. Thanks again Fritz.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here's a question for all of us interested in the Mauser 1934 and HSc:
The Mauser 1934 (Army) had both the E/655 and the small Hoheitszeichen (National Emblem Eagle)stamped on the pistols. (See photo No. 3 of Fritz's excellent postings above)
In 1941, when Army procurement switched to the Mauser Hsc, both the E/655 and small eagle were continued on the new pistol.
Why were these early Army procured HSc pistols considered Army "Test Pistols" because the small eagle was continued on the rear tang?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Fritz:
Good postings!
Why were the first Army (Heer) HSc pistols called "Test Pistols"?
In a much earlier posting, I suggested that the first Army pistols simply continued both proofings as on the M1934. Nothing to do with "test"...but merely a continuation of the previous proofings!
Any input would be most welcomed!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Lloyd,

In my opinion we can translate the "test proof" with "proof" and that's it.
I don't know who was the first who used this term "test proof " but it seem to me that all the "followers" took this term without reflection also.Mea culpa, I'm also.
There are so many weapons with this particular stamping out there and they all are tested ?? No, they are proofed !

Fritz

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fritz,

Very good point about the Military test proof! So basically what you are saying is it is just another proof administered by the office of waffenamt prior to acceptance by the military? So, the pistols were just doubled proofed? The Eagle N (E/N) was the commerical test proof (government proof house) and then the military just did it again by inspectors (civil service) of a waffenamt before the pistol was accepted and released to whatever the branch of service for issuance? This seems kind of odd. The German Military in WWII accepted Astra Pistols with the Spanish proofs and were not again waffenamt or commercial proofed. Maybe this was because it was later in the war or something. Perhaps as the war extended and greater production requirements were needed the waffenamt offices accepted the commercial proof E/N and did not proof them again but just applied the appropriate acceptance waffenamt stamp. Does any of my rambling make any sense?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.