Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a scarce Beretta 1923 with the Italian Army Crown RE proof. The Beretta 1923 was produced from 1923 until 1925(?). 10,400 were manufactured during that time with an eye on the Italian Army contract. These pistols were chambered for the 9mm Glisenti service round. The large military contract was not to be. The Italian Army only ordered 3007 of the 1923 pistols. Seven were for testing and the additional 3000 were on a 1936 contract. It is thought that these pistols may have been issued to Colonial Troops.
It appears from the recorded serial numbers of Crown RE marked pistols (5), that they appear early in the series. The serial numbers run from 300000 to 310400. The recorded Army issue ones are 300239, 301780, 301862, 306854 and 309608. Very few were cut for the holster/shoulder stock combination that is seldom seen.
As recorded, all the Crown RE marked pistols have the stamped metal grips. Although other non-Italian Army contracts were also filled, this model was not very successful.
This is a very interesting military pistol and you can see that a lot of the features were carried forward to their popular 1934/35 pistols.
This pistol is serial number 301780. It has a little discoloring to the blue but is otherwise in nice condition. Someone was a little distraught with the Italian Crown markings as you can see by the little punch mark!
A very interesting pistol that I would think is very scarce.
I hope you enjoy.
Dean
PS: I would like to hear of other Crown RE marked 1923 pistols that are out there so I can keep track of the number known.
Please list Serial number, grip type and if cut for shoulder stock.

Download Attachment: REB.jpg
81.06 KB

Download Attachment: REB1.jpg
96.97 KB

Download Attachment: REB2.jpg
70.34 KB

For further info please see:
Jan's AXIS PISTOLS
Wood, BERETTA AUTOMATIC PISTOLS
Menchini-Taviani, PIETRO BERETTA LE AUTOMATICHE-AUTOMATIC PISTOLS

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Dean,

My 1923 is not crown RE marked but, the serial number is 3C3924. The C is not an 0...it is on both the slide and frame. Do you know anything about this?? BTW mine is marked with a small crown over a small circle with something unintelligible stamped in it.

Dave

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dave,
I would think the "C" is a broken die. Mine also has the "C" looking zero. If I look at it through my 10x loop, I can see the "inside" edge of the front portion of the zero. A "C" would not have the inside edge. On my frame, the last zero is so lightly struck you can hardly see it! I added a photo. They must have been still using it and wearing it down by the time they got to yours.
The small proof is the Brescia Proof house.
Dean

Download Attachment: REB3.jpg
88.14KB

G

·
Beretta 1923

My 1923 Beretta (300618) is RE Crown marked. It is not cut for shoulder stock. It has the PB stamped steel grip plates. It was purchased in Macau in 1946!

Lazarus40

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.