Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is my first posting on this website please bear with any beginning errors. I need some information concerning the German Luger Artillery pistol. At present, I have three of these type pistols but will use the DWM 1918 artillery as my example of question. The serial number on this pistol is 1312 a. The adjustable site base is marked/stamped with the number "32 a" by the securing screw, yet upon very close examination, within the bottom of the adjustable site well, there is observed the correct number 12 of the serial number 1312. All other numbers, concerning this Luger, are matching.

Why are there conflicting numbers or different numbers on the adjustable site base by the hold down/securing screw? Does this mean the Luger is mismatched?

The other two artillery Lugers are DWM 1917 dated models and show the same idiosyncrasy (all matched numbers except the number by the screw on the adjustable site base).

I hope my terminology has been sufficient, in description, to receive an answer to the question.

Thank you,
Ron

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ron
Look at the LP08 sight base photoes shown under the headings of Minenwerfer and Machine Gun. These are marked on the top on the left hand side. To the best of my knowledge this is standard. The number under the sight by the securing screw is not the Lugers serial number.
Jan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jan:

Thanks for the reply and clarifying information to my question.

Regards,
Ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Garfield:

Thank you for your reply. Should you find the subject material, I look forward to studying the information.

Thanks,
Ron

·
238 Posts
Ron, The number stamped on top of the barrel itself (up to 4 digits) and covered by the rear sight base is believed to be an assembly number, applied by whoever made the barrels (Erfurt?) and not a serial #, which should be on the bottom of the barrel (up to 4 digits with suffix letter. The 3 main parts of the the rear sight (base, elevator and numbered scale) should have the last 2 digits of the serial (12 in your case) applied. Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom:

Thanks for the information and clarification. It always makes one feel better to know the Luger is correct and right.

Thanks again,
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.