Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Artillery Holster Manufacturer

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  refurb 
G
#1 ·
I'm new to this collecting/authenticating ritual...as well as this gunboard website...so please bear with me, okay! I just picked up a fairly worn 1916 DWM Artillery Luger and holster (black). Practically everything seems to match on the luger, however, I recently found a very illegible stamp on the inside of my holster flap...could somebody venture an intelligent guess on its manufacturer? Example from my inspection:

SIE_________
_RES______

Sorry, but I can't make out anything else! Is it possible to obtain a list of WW I holster manufacturers in Germany? Thanks for your help...pardon my ignorance on these topics!
Neil Ladsten 03/06/05 11:50 AM

G
#3 ·
Ron,
Thanks for the quick comeback on my 1916 luger holster! After re-examination of the flap inscription, the "S" is the CLEAREST AND MOST PRONOUNCED of all the visible letters. Probably a SIEGEMUND, right? However, it doesn't seem to reveal any hint of a first name preceding the "SIE" markings. Maybe that company used a different type of leather marking stamp in 1916! Thanks....think I'm getting hooked on this stuff!

#4 ·
Neil,
It is way too easy to get hooked. And can be very expensive if you don't study up on what you are buying. Study the forums and ask questions. It is advisable to spend $200-$300 on good books, ie; Jan Still's , Lugers at Random by Kenyon, etc. Before you dive into a deal you are not sure of. Can you post photos of your Arty rig?
Ron

#5 ·
Sweetpea,

LP08 holsters dated 1916 are quite scarce. Would you post photos of yours?

G
#6 ·
I, too, just acquired an LP08 holster dated 1916 (on the cover) and has the manufacturer stamp "Maury & Co. Offenbach ....." The boot cap is stamped 1915 with same manufacturer. It also has a regimental stamp BAIII. For anyone looking, the stock that accompanied the holster is serial stamped 3888g.

#7 ·
Roy, I would like to see photos of the Maury holster and parts. Maury is the only maker I have ever seen that marked the boot and other attaching leather.

#9 ·
Geo,
I agree with you about the prevalence of Maury marked LP08 stock leather parts.
Here are some pictures of another marking observed on two LP08 stock top cap leather parts. (not Maury marked).

Download Attachment: MVC-002F.JPG
72.63KB

Download Attachment: MVC-007F.JPG
48.4KB

Figs 1 and 2. Leather is stamped WALZ and underneath that is a crown/gothic letter(?G). I don’t have any listing for a holster/leather maker by name of WALZ. Could WALZ be an acronym for a maker or some dept that accepted/proofed this part?
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.