Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I hope this is the place to ask this question. I recently acquired a tool to adjust the front sight on my 1917 Artillery Luger. It appears to be blackened brass with two steel pins protruding from the end. (To make the adjustments with). It is unmarked and the body is knurled. I have been told that it is original, but I'm not sure if the Germans made these tools out of brass and then blackened them. The same tool is shown in Still's Imperial Lugers page 113. I hope someone can clear this up for me.

Dave

G

·
Dave:

For what it is worth, I have observed what you have described as an adjustment tool for an Artillery Luger. The one I saw also was said to be original and seems to be the same in description as you have described (???).

Anyway, I hope this helps,
Ron

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,230 Posts
Over the last six to nine months I have seen a bunch of these previously rare tools on Ebay. Most of them seem to have been posted fron Colorado. I am certain that the market has now been flooded with fakes.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron, Jan, Geo, Thanks for your input. I will consider it original until I find something different. I personally know the gentleman from Colorado, that Geo mentioned, who was selling the tools on e-bay for a while....He is a very reputable individual and an avid collector. I contacted him to try and buy one of his tools....unfortunately he had no more. The one's he had he acquired in Europe about 50 years ago when he was heavy into Lugers.

Thanks again guys!!

Dave

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Jan C Still

I have one of these tools made of brass and it looks like the photograph in the book. However, it is not blackened.
Jan
[
/quote]

Jan, The brass tool you have....does it have steel pins in the front??

Dave

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi
In the years I got some different tools.Some are very probably original,some are sure fake.The original "cilindric knurled handle" ones should be made of brass copper plated and now they look like they were blackened with a brownish colour that's the old copper colour.I've also a brass one(repro)with the knurling bigger than the original ones,and an iron blackened one(also repro).The others are the one with the wood handle(it's the specimen on page 280 of Bender's book,and I took the photo showing the same position of the pic on the book,so the marks on the wood show to be the same) and two
other different patterns ones.They could be original or not.Quien sabe?
I can only say that the very little "proof" on the first at the right
looks like to be the same as on some Erfurt P08 little parts.
The four similar tools are (from the left) the iron one,the brass one,and the two copper plated (brass)ones.
I can only say that many advanced European collectors agree with me in my opinions about.
Hope this helps

Download Attachment: IM001658.JPG
108.21KB

Download Attachment: IM001660.JPG
112.79KB

Download Attachment: IM001662.JPG
155.66KB

G

·
I JUST BOUGHT A LUGER ARTILLERY SPANNER T WRENCH THAT CAME IN A LITTLE WOODEN BOX WITH A SLIDE COVER. DIDN'T CARE IF IT WAS ORIGINAL CAUSE I NEEDED THE TOOL. THERE WERE TWO TOOLS TO BID ON AND I DECIDED ON THE T WRENCH FOR THE ADDED TORQUE IN CASE OF A STUBORN SCREW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.