Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought this pistol at a local gunshop with no import markings. This pistol looks to have the original finish compared to the other pics I've seen a gunmetal grey matte finish

1. Complete frame and slide serial number(s) 46871 right side at rear of pistol

2. WaAD20 marked (No)
3. LBPN (Landesbereitschaftspolizei Niedersächsen) grip frame marked (No)
4. Does the front top slide have the large Astra U/C logo as shown in the “Astra U/C logo” photo below (No)
5. Does the pistol have other serial number markings(Yes) Please specify.
Bottom of barrel 871, side of barrel Eibar auto pistol proof visible through ejection port. Bottom of extractor 871. Bottom left side rear slide rail 6871.
Left side of frame under grips 6871 & UNCETA Y COMPANIA. Mag release 871. Grip safety 46871. Slide stop 871. Trigger left side 871

6. Are the magazine(s) serialized (Yes) If yes, answer 6a-d for each magazine.
6a. Provide the magazine serial number. 3700
6b. The magazine is serial marked parallel short dimension of the magazine number doesnt match
6c. Is the matching magazine electro-pencil marked with the full or partial serial number. No stamped number
6d. The magazine has a number 1 on it. such as those found on police marked magazine of the era? (Like the short dimension magazine example shown.)
7. If you have a period holster, No.

Rear top of slide:
UNCETA Y COMPANIA S. A.
GUERNICA ESPANA

"ASTRA' MOD.600/43
9m/mPARABELLUM

Rear lower left corner of slide: Late Eiber automatic pistol proof

Rear left side of frame below slide left to right three markings: Late Eiber house proof, P with star above, Late Eibar automatic pistol proof

The barrel bushing, thumb safety, trigger, slide stop, mag catch are all brightly blued not in the white or the gunmetal grey matte finish as mentioned above. Does anyone know when, who, or why these may have been refinished?

·
Silver Bullet Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Dave H, let us know what you discover on numbering for the German contract Astra 400s (M1921). I have one and know the extractor is numbered to the gun, but not sure about the rest. Thanks for posting,

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
marvmc, thanks, I like the post-war LBPN marked Astras. The post-war police armorers went to great lengths to take the frame/slide number and apply it to many of the small parts, including the magazines. None of the magazines were numbered for the Germans when the Astras were manufactured in 1944.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Roger,
Just got another Astra 600. Serial #56028 on frame and slide. No waffenamt; No grip strap mark; No Astra logo; No # on mag; Partial serial #6028 on underside of slide and under left grip; And #28 on barrel.
Tim H.

·
Silver Bullet Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Tim, thanks, that one is near the end of the line. As best I can tell, the last Astra 600 was 59400. How is the condition? Any chance for photos?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Roger,
The condition is about 90%+, all matched. There's a photo of it on the Rock Island auction site, February auction, lot#2530.
Tim

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Roger,
Just noticed that Jack The Dog has a nice Nazi marked Astra 600 (#9126) with one matched magazine (also marked with a 2 - police?) and a DKK holster. His photos are outstanding and you should be able to complete your survey on this piece from them. The auction lasts another week. I have no affiliation with the seller.
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11066585/guns-for-sale-curios-relics/pistol-curios-relics/astra-model-600-9mm-wwii-nazi-contract.e-2fwaad20.just-10-2c500-made.c-and-r!
Best regards, Don

·
Silver Bullet Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Don, thanks, I spotted that one. Jack the Dog has up-leveled auction selling to a fine art. His photos and descriptions are among the best, and his auctions bring top dollar. The pistol is curious in one respect. It has a WWII dkk44 holster, which is a pretty rare bird, but the pistol can't be a wartime bring back. It has a post-war matching numbered magazine, suggesting it was used by the post-war West German Police. Neither the Spanish nor the Germans numbered Astra 600 magazines during the war. Perhaps the West Germans also used the dkk44 holster, but that would be unusual. Thanks,

·
Silver Bullet Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
After quite dry spell on Astra 600 collecting, I acquired two recently. The first one is a LGS find that I was delighted to buy. It is serial number 5752 and appears to be a vet bring back. It's all-matching, has the inside in the white and is in very nice condition. If i could only find a WWII German Astra holster! The photos tell the story.

I also snagged another Astra 600 sold to the Ministry of the Navy, Lisbon, Portugal in 1951. The pistol is shipping this week, so photos come later.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Just picked up another Nazi proofed Astra 600:
Serial #9614
WaAD20 Nazi proofed
Has Astra logo on slide
No grip-strap markings
Last three digits of serial # on many small parts and frame under grips.
Original finish(85%) and all matched
Barrel marked: PIST. PATR. 08
Tim H.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just acquired another Nazi Astra 600 in 99% condition today.
WaAD20
Has logo
No LBPN
Full and/or partial # on frame, slide, barrel and grip safety

Chuck

·
Silver Bullet Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Chuck, very nice, you Astra 600 is almost the end of the line for WaAD20 marked guns, and you don't see five digit marked gusn too often. Can you post some photos of it?

- - - Updated - - -

Just picked up another Nazi proofed Astra 600:
Serial #9614
WaAD20 Nazi proofed
Has Astra logo on slide
No grip-strap markings
Last three digits of serial # on many small parts and frame under grips.
Original finish(85%) and all matched
Barrel marked: PIST. PATR. 08
Tim H.
Tim, thanks for posting

·
Registered
707 Posts
Is there any input as to vet collection data? I got my Astra 600's bck in the fifties from Vets. One captured at the "Bulge", the other at StLo. Has there been any other claims as to capture or location? I am interested in how far these contracts were distributed throughout the theater after delivery. I am not interested in PX obtained Astras with Vet Bringback forms dated after May 1945. Thanks, Henri

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
It has always been my understanding that most or all of the Nazi proofed Astra 600's remained in the western theater. I do not recall my source of this info, but the contract/delivery date was mid-1944, so not much time for the guns to spread too far east.
Tim H.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts