Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the "lookout" for one of these ever since I found the smaller Steyr M1909 in 6.35mm at the Las Vegas Antique gun show a while back. There is one on Bob Adams web site that I had considered that is in very nice condition. However, I just couldn't convince myself to buy it at that price. So I have been looking everywhere and finally found one from a collector thinning out his collection. These pistols exhibit a very high degree of precison machining and are a testament to the skillful work of old world craftsman. These pistols were reworked in 1934 for the Austrian Police and "beefed up" becasue of some slide and other parts deterioration issues thus the 1908/34 designation. When Austria was aborbed by the Third Reich the Austrian police became part of the NNPS. Some of these pistols are commercial Eagle/N proofed (after 4-1-1940) most have Austrian proof marks and many bear the Austrian State Security Service "S.W." markings on the rear/back grip strap. This one is of that group. Mr. Still says these pistols are listed in the 1943 German Police weapons manual--see "Axis Pistols" page No. 248 upper photo description Figure 70a.

This one is serial number 51219 P and Austrian Police district marked on the rear grip strap SW. 7663. This pistol has full checkered wood grips but they also came with black hard rubber grips with the Steyr logo. Each magazine is marked with that 7663 number and further marked number I and number II. The pistol also came with an original excellent condition Austrian hardshell holster (which is one of two (2) kinds made for this pistol). This holster is exactly like the one pictured in the book "German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945" Volume III page No. 253 by Robert D. Whittington III. The holster is not marked. The pistol is all matching and in very excellent condition.

I have also included a picture showing both the Steyr M1909 (mentioned above) and the Steyr M1908/34 for comparison. I hope you enjoy the pictures and if anyone else has one of these pistol I know I would very much enjoy seeing a picture of it. Any further information or details about these fascinating pistols anyone can provide is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Download Attachment: Steyr M1908-34 Left Side.jpg
80.72KB

Download Attachment: Steyr M1908-34 Right Side.jpg
78.08KB

Download Attachment: Steyr M1908-34 Rig with Hardshell Holster &2 Matching Magazines.jpg
79.99KB

Download Attachment: Steyr M1908-34 Rear Grip Marking.jpg
43.17KB

Download Attachment: Steyr M1908-34 In Holster Shell Open.jpg
70.16KB

Download Attachment: Steyr M1909-34 Hardshell Holster.jpg
68.46KB

Download Attachment: Steyr M1908-34 Hardshell Holster.jpg
75.13KB

Download Attachment: Steyr Model 1908-34 & M1909.jpg
88.02KB

Download Attachment: Steyr M1908-34 & M1909 Right Sides.jpg
99.1KB

·
Registered
839 Posts
Lloyd,
That is one great looking rig! Question, were the ones that were Eagle/N stamped also issued to the German Police or were they available to the Army as well?
You have some nice pistols. You don't happen to have a CZ 24 with a WaA76 on it do you? Just kidding!
Dean

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
My 08/34, S.W. 2581, is in an identical holster with both matching magazines, but it has black plastic grips. The spring that flips the barrel open is broken on mine, as is the spring on a 08 I also have. Is this a common problem, or was it done for a reason? I believe the E/N proofed 08/34's were also police reworks, and probably absorbed into the German police system as well, since they would have been police guns. My E/N 08/34 has the stamp of the Vienna Police Armory, which would seem to indicate it was reworked for police use.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sauer,

Good to hear from you on this pistol. The ones with the black plastic grips are in my opinion a much more attractive looking pistol. I wish mine had the black plastic grips like my M1909 does. I wonder if there are any black plastic grips around I could get? Probably a very tough thing to come by. Can't give you any input on the spring situation. There is a web site and a guy who specializes in Steyr guns--Randy Rick http://home.alltel.net/randyric/collect.htm You may want to shoot him an email and find out what he can tell you about the spring situation. I have emailed him before about something else regarding the M1908/34 and he got right back to me. Sauer, if you can please post some pictures of your M1908/34 rig I would be most interested to see them. Thanks Lloyd in Vegas.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Very nice pistol, Lloyd.
Here are some photos of my 1908/34 rework.
The unit number is very close to Sauer's pistol.
I've not had any luck finding a
model 1909 in good shape.
Would also like a regular Model 1908 to
contrast with the 08/34 rework.

Download Attachment: Steyr-1908-34-1.jpg
76.03KB
Download Attachment: Steyr-1908-34-2.jpg
102.78KB
Download Attachment: Steyr-1908-34-3.jpg
70.56KB
Download Attachment: Steyr-1908-34-4.jpg
72.35KB

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pancho,

Thanks for the nice words on my M1908/34. It was the picture of the one on your site that further promoted my interest in and desire to add one to my collection. Like I have said before your collectible vintage pistol web site is a valuable resource to collectors especially the way you give such good detail, descriptions, and pictures of all the parts of the pistol---Thank you very much!

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
Guys, I'd love to post some pictures of my collection. I'm very proud of all of them. The problem is, when I try to attach more than one immage to any of my posts, they all wind up as copies of the first immage I attached. If anyone can tell me how to overcome this problem, I'd be happy to share with everyone! E-mail me with any comments, if you prefer not to take up space here in the forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sauer,
I can't figure how that would happen.
Even if you gave the file the same name, a new image would appear, not a copy of the first image.
Anyway, here is an instructional I put together a while ago. Hope that it will help. Step 11 is about posting multiple images.

Subject: How to post a photo(s)

Step 1. Select "Insert an Image File [max 300k]" which is marked with an icon of a paperclip,
and is below the text box of the posting.

Step 2. A pop up window will appear on your screen.

Step 3. Use the “Browse” button to search your computer for the JPEG image file which you
want to post.

Step 4. Note: The file name of the image file must not contain any symbols or spaces. The file
name can contain letters and numbers. Remember, no symbols, no spaces.

Step 5. Upon finding and selecting your chosen image file, it will appear in the dialogue box
adjacent to the “Browse” button.

Step 6. Use the “Upload file to ....post” button to begin the uploading process. This will take a
few seconds.

Step 7. If your file is too big, exceeding the [max 300k], then you will receive a prompt
informing you that the file is too big. You should reduce the size, or pixel count, or section your
file into two or more files, and try uploading again.

Step 8. If you file has an incorrectly formatted name, then you will receive a prompt informing
you of the parameters for a correct name. You should rename the file and try again.

Step 9. If your file is uploaded, then you will receive a prompt telling you that you were
“successful”. Close the pop up window, unless you want to post another image file in the
same posting. In that case leave the pop up window open, and continue to use the "Browse"
button to search for your additional image file.

Step 10. You will see coding appear in your posting. This coding represents your image in your
posting.

Step 11. If you want to post another image in the same posting, just repeat this process, and
you will have multiple images in the same posting. This is better than creating a new topic for
each image that you want to post.

Step 12. Similarly, if you wish to edit the text, or add an image, to a reply you have previously
posted, then select the “pencil” icon a the top of your posting and repeat the image posting
procedure.

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
Pancho: Many thanks for the response. I'm just recovering from a computer crash caused by the Sausser Worm. It CAN, despite what everyone says, infect Wondows 98 systems! I lost everything on my hard drive, and am slowly rebuilding my list of contacts. I've printed out your information, and will try again to post pictures on my new system soon on my new XP system.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I DISAGREE WITH THE WOOD VERSES PLASTIC COMMENTS. I HAVE AN AUSTRIAN MARKED STERY IN MINT CONDITION AND THERE IS NO COMPARISON. THE WOOD GRIPS ARE BEAUTIFUL. THEY ARE VERY MUCH LIKE THE 1911 COLT 45. HOW COULD ANYONE COMPARE WOOD WITH PLASTIC? THANKS FOR READING, JOE

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sauer, many times it isn't that the worms / viruses CAN'T infect win95 or win98 but that they are not designed to infect those systems, but like you unfortunately found out, they can and do infect those systems.

Joe, I prefer wood also, as the plastic looks more utilitarian. By the way, using all caps usually means you are YELLING, although if you need to use all caps, we can live with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.