Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Tracy
Imperial Lugers mostly bear commercial style serial number placement. (I do not have either a 1908 or 1916/1917 Navy.) My recollection is that at least some 1908 and 1916/1917 Navies bear exposed style serial numbers on the safety and the sear bar.
Jan

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Tracy
Imperial Lugers mostly bear commercial style serial number placement. (I do not have either a 1908 or 1916/1917 Navy.) My recollection is that at least some 1908 and 1916/1917 Navies bear exposed style serial numbers on the safety and the sear bar.
Jan

·
Registered
406 Posts
Tracy: Your post is a bit confusing. You state that Navy pistols pictured in Still's, Imperial Lugers, are not marked with the last two digits of the serial number on the "sear safety". The term 'sear safety', as it relates to the P.08, was a safety device adopted by the Prussian Police in 1932 and are not found on any Imperial Navy pistol. The 1906 and earlier Navy variations were equipted with a grip safety and a lever safety. 1908 and later variations had but the lever safety. I believe that if you will review the pictures found in 'Imperial Lugers' you will find that the safety bar on the earlier Navy pistols will not exhibit numbers while the 1908 variations and later will.

Harry's Navy is a later model and should exhibit the last digits of the serial number on the safety bar.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Tracy: Your post is a bit confusing. You state that Navy pistols pictured in Still's, Imperial Lugers, are not marked with the last two digits of the serial number on the "sear safety". The term 'sear safety', as it relates to the P.08, was a safety device adopted by the Prussian Police in 1932 and are not found on any Imperial Navy pistol. The 1906 and earlier Navy variations were equipted with a grip safety and a lever safety. 1908 and later variations had but the lever safety. I believe that if you will review the pictures found in 'Imperial Lugers' you will find that the safety bar on the earlier Navy pistols will not exhibit numbers while the 1908 variations and later will.

Harry's Navy is a later model and should exhibit the last digits of the serial number on the safety bar.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Garfield,

Sorry, I meant the safety bar. The only picture I can find on a non-1906 Navy is a 1917 Navy on page 178. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it might have the serial number. As for the 1908, I haven't found any pictures that show the safety bar up so you could tell if it had the serial number on it.

How a bout the internal parts (rear toggle pin, hold open), are these serialized.

Tracy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Garfield,

Sorry, I meant the safety bar. The only picture I can find on a non-1906 Navy is a 1917 Navy on page 178. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it might have the serial number. As for the 1908, I haven't found any pictures that show the safety bar up so you could tell if it had the serial number on it.

How a bout the internal parts (rear toggle pin, hold open), are these serialized.

Tracy

·
Registered
406 Posts
Look at page 175, which pictures a 1908 Variation. The safety bar is up and exhibts the number '74'. The 1917 dated pistol shown on page 178 has a safety bar numbered '48'. FWIW, personal observations convince me that 1908 Variations and later should have the safety bars numbered, however, as with any aspect of life, there are exceptions to the rule.

Toggle pins were not required to be numbered until 1932. I cannot recall a reference addressing the numbering of hold opens on the Navy Models. Recollection tells me that they should be on the 1914 variations and not on the earlier variations.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Look at page 175, which pictures a 1908 Variation. The safety bar is up and exhibts the number '74'. The 1917 dated pistol shown on page 178 has a safety bar numbered '48'. FWIW, personal observations convince me that 1908 Variations and later should have the safety bars numbered, however, as with any aspect of life, there are exceptions to the rule.

Toggle pins were not required to be numbered until 1932. I cannot recall a reference addressing the numbering of hold opens on the Navy Models. Recollection tells me that they should be on the 1914 variations and not on the earlier variations.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,198 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,198 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
It appears that there is some variation to be expected in the profile of the top of an authentic rear sight, and the distance the finger ridges extend down on the sides of the sight.

Also, Taudelt, are those ridges really crosshatched, as appears in your last picture?

--Dwight

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
It appears that there is some variation to be expected in the profile of the top of an authentic rear sight, and the distance the finger ridges extend down on the sides of the sight.

Also, Taudelt, are those ridges really crosshatched, as appears in your last picture?

--Dwight

·
Registered
594 Posts
Does anyone know of a reference which specifies the SIZE of the two digit serial numbers on the various small parts of 1916-1917 Navy Lugers?

Thanks,
Luke

·
Registered
594 Posts
Does anyone know of a reference which specifies the SIZE of the two digit serial numbers on the various small parts of 1916-1917 Navy Lugers?

Thanks,
Luke

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.