Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to tell if a Baby Browning is post or pre war by serial number.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hello, Let me know the pistol's serial # and I'll look it up for you. I have a Browning date of mfg. booklet & some assorted data pertaining to the Baby Browning .25's. I await your reply. Regards, Dom Pastore Jr.

·
Platinum Bullet Member 2012
939 Posts
Dom,
I thought I would resurrect this topic. Would you look in your booklet and see if you can tell the year of manufacture for an FN "BABY" pistol with serial number 251091? I would appreciate it. They are not on the ATF's Curio @ Relic list but I think they should qualify.
Greg

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Greg, Sorry for my belated reply. According to my source, your FN, 6.35 mm "Baby", serial # 251091 was manufactured in JANUARY 1962. 1962 serial numbering for this model began at circa 251000, so your example should have been mfg'd very early in the year. Best regards, Dom Pastore Jr.

·
939 Posts
Dom,
Thank you very much for the information. Looks like it isn't old enough to make the cut for C&R. Can you tell me at about what serial number and about what date the manufacture of the FN "BABY" models ended? Also, can you tell me when the Browning (BAC) Baby pistols were first manufactured and did they start with a new series of serial numbers or continue with the FN numbers? I am assuming the FN BABY pistols were made prior to the BAC pistols. Maybe not. Sorry for all the questions but my references have hardly any information on these pistols.
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
75 Posts
The FN Baby was first introduced in 1931, the result of a design by Dieudonne Saive. Although Saive was the inventor the gun, it was marketed as a Browning (JMB passed away years earlier in 1926). The pistol was meant as an upgrade/improvement to the 1905/06 Vest Pocket. Prewar FN Baby Brownings are relatvely rare and production halted around the mid 45,000 range in 1940 with the German invasion. The Baby Browning was introduced in the US in 1954. It should be noted that there is no difference with the FN model asides from a different slide legend. Many collectors believe that the Browning is a better quality finished gun. This is completely inaccurate. The Browning marked guns were made at the same time and on the same machinery as the FN guns. There was only a diff. on slide legend. FN stopped the manufacture in the 1981/83 time frame.

·
939 Posts
FNitis,
Thanks for your reply. This helps a lot. I have owned both and I don't think the Browning marked guns are nicer either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Could you upload a picture of the other side. The serial number does not match the features or markings I see. The serial number is an early one while the features (grips + slide legend and proofmark)in the picture are late. BTW, this is a Vest Pocket and not a Baby (see my previous post).
Thanks

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Sorry, that is an example and NOT Serg's gun, it is a picture from a previous posting. Serg, can you post pictures of yours?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK! I'll try to take a picture of my pistol. I have not a digital camera. And I can't to ask my friends to do the pictures...
It is very dangerous, to have such things. In Russia it is a crime...

P.S. Sorry for my English, again. :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
We understand, Serge....do not do anything that will cause you to catch 'heat' from the authorities.!

Many of us have similar situations here due to recent "dumb" anti-gun laws..

Orv

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the number is 517535, than it is circa 1911 (could be early 1912). I just did not want to date the gun with that picture shown, the image shows what appears to be a late 1940s or early 1950s model (one of the last of the vest pockets).
I hope this helps.
Anthony Vanderlinden

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank You very much for your answers!
I'd took some pictures of my pistol. But very low quality pictures with my WebCam.
On the left side of pistol frame (Pict1) the sign "FABRIQUE NATIONALE D'ARMES de GUERRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE BROWNING'S PATENT DEPOSE"
On the right side of pistol frame (Pict2) the number "517535"
All photos without pistol magazine. It was loss....
Best regards, Serg.

Download Attachment: Pict1.jpg
39.08KB

Download Attachment: Pict2.jpg
39.63KB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same gun JM Browning 6.35 mm, Belgium made, original, coming form my grand grand father. Can you give me any info about the value of this gun? Is this a collectible item?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the same gun JM Browning 6.35 mm, Belgium made, original, coming form my grand grand father.Serial number is 366875. Can you give me any info about the value of this gun? Is this a collectible item?

Download Attachment: browning 001.jpg
26.54KB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.