Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can one identify a French made Banner in the May of 45 to the June of 46 range?
Don Goodnight

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Better yet, identify the luger in question and I'll try and help to tell you whether or not it is French .

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Banner toggle, Blank chamber, Eagle N proof
Left Rec & sight basse &
breech block.
2547 S.N.
2547 & 8.83 barrel bottom
47 on all small parts; all blue
black plastic grips
no P.08 on frame
26 on back of side plate
6 mm fxo mag

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
According to August Weiss the French made 2650 but recorded serials indicate between 3000 and 3500 were actually made in two different models, 4 inch and 8 inch with three different marking variations within those two models. The first Banner variation had the five pointed star on receiver which runs up to about 500 and the second Banner variation runs up to about 2500. The balance being "42" toggle variations. Your pistol indicates that you perhaps have a type two which should have the following: eagle N proofs at the three locations, serial w/o suffix on frame front, last 2 digits on all parts except extractor, barrel, firing pin, holdopen,& safety. Blued extruded aluminium based magazine with serial only and wooden grips. Get yourself some unmarked Mauser wooden grips and you are set.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Additional information has been forwarded to me that suggest that perhaps not all French lugers found TODAY would be with wooden grips and blued finish as plastic grips and phosphated finish may also be found . This would reflect a French recall [?] with newer or changed items applied at a later date than what was it was originally presented.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have what I believe to be one of the French occupation made Luger Banners in mint condition. It is all blue with black plastic grips. Does anyone have an idea of it's current value?

·
Administrator
13,954 Posts
Mag318,

To give you a worthwhile value, you would need to supply a good description and lots of pictures.

Ed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ed, Thanks for the response. The Luger is full blue, black plastic grips,fxo mag,serial #1703. The only proof I see is just to the left of the serial number right under the chamber. Frame is marked P08, toggle has the Mauser Banner. All small parts are marked where they should be with the last two digits of the serial number 03. Now I have to figure out how to post pics on here. The Luger is flat mint and appears unfired.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 005.jpg
63.82KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 001.jpg
63.97KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 003.jpg
62.08KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 004.jpg
65.13KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 007.jpg
59.88KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 010.jpg
60.8KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 011.jpg
62.26KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 012.jpg
62.57KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 013.jpg
61.78KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 006.jpg
64.79KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 008.jpg
64.87KB

Download Attachment: Mauser Banner 014.jpg
64.22KB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ed, It took awhile but I obviously figured out how to post pics. This is a great forum and I'm glad to have found it. John

·
Administrator
13,954 Posts
John, you'll get some responses now, :)

Good posting, good pictures,

Ed

·
Administrator
13,954 Posts
John, not to answer for Jan, but unless you collect this model (a specialty area), I would imagine it is difficult to judge what one is worth?

Have you looked on line at Simsons LTD? http://www.simpsonltd.com/lugerrm.htm Or any of the gun auctions? I ask because I have no idea and sometimes you get lucky and they have one for sale there. If it is "mint" and untouched, the value of course would be higher than others.

Ed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ed, Robert Simpson said it is worth $3500.00, I'm no expert on Lugers and wanted to see what other more knowledgeable collectors think. As you know these things have gone thru the roof in the last 5 years. Everytime I go to an auction site I'm amazed at what WWII German firearms are going for. These pieces are better then the stock market. John

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hello you must read the two french book :because the pics it's a famous one there all the french model describe in the second There is three model an one LP more But in France all the model we see went with wood grips I have three dif. in mine coll.
The mag is a haenel one without stamp and the spine on the bottom mag could be remouved to clean the int. mag
Some frame have P08 other not
Some are dated 42
All have a star or eagle.n on the left with the number but

The difference with the civil market in 39.45 is: the stamp eagle N is at the base front sight
is on the left of the breech block
is on the left frame
On the French the stamp is ONLY on the frame near the number or above.

In France all this numbers are confirmed
With the star:
LP:260.400.450.
With eagle N:
96.184.500.620.621.810.832.939.1018.1020.1254.1979.3033.2912. LP:854.1649.2584.
With 42 date

·
Registered
24 Posts
LU1900, Thanks for the information, what 2 books are you referring to? Give me their titles and I will try to obtain them. John

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hello John
I send you the link
http://www.lehussard-librairie.com/catalog/default.php?manufacturers_id=10
If you could not have the book I can buy them for you in a gun show they are allways present with the "Still" books .Of course they are ,and all my other books are in english,in french but the pics are very very good and interesting and you could see the french collections are not despicable
All to your service Pat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.