Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings and thank you for the wealth of information within these threads, links, and photos. I am barely even a novice in the realm of Lugers, but Bannerman relics fascinate me and comprise my collecting niche. As such, I own a few Bannerman Test Lugers—or believe I do—and have come here seeking truth. One of the specimens in my possession has a serial number within the initial accepted Bannerman range, but isn’t listed specifically on Mr. Ron Wood’s magnificent compilation file. Is this to say that my pistol is not from the Bannerman purchase, or has it merely not yet been encountered in the wild and documented? Please excuse my lack of knowledge. I hope to clarify my understanding of what I own; specifically its origin. I appreciate what you do here.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
If your Luger serial number is in the Bannerman range but not on my list, then probably it has not been reported as a surviving example to date. Are you willing to post the serial number here?
Ron

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please share details of what you have and we'll add it to the body of Luger knowledge shared here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your Luger serial number is in the Bannerman range but not on my list, then probably it has not been reported as a surviving example to date. Are you willing to post the serial number here?
Ron
Hello, Mr. Wood. I currently own 6373, 6473, 6487, and 6735. The last one is not on your list so I’m questioning whether it was part of the Bannerman lot or not. Interestingly, there’s a discussion about it on another thread I came across. Would you say it’s part of Frank’s famous purchase?

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Mike,
My sincerest apologies for my oversight. I had recorded #6735 when it was posted in the thread you reference but for some reason (getting old most likely :)) I did not add it to the chart. It is part of the Bannerman purchase, so rest assured on that account. Guess it is time to update the list....a good way to start off the new year.
All the best,
Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike,
My sincerest apologies for my oversight. I had recorded #6735 when it was posted in the thread you reference but for some reason (getting old most likely :)) I did not add it to the chart. It is part of the Bannerman purchase, so rest assured on that account. Guess it is time to update the list....a good way to start off the new year.
All the best,
Ron
Thank you kindly for the assistance with this. I’m a young buck in the collecting world so all of the knowledge that people such as yourself and others impart here is precious. I’m relieved to hear that the one I asked about is confirmed.

While you’re updating your list, would you happen to know if 7324 is a Bannerman piece as well? It’s within the upper range, but not noted on your chart. Do you have any input on that one? Thanks again for taking the time to keep this hobby alive and recorded.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
While Ron is following up, a question... Have you ever been to Bannerman's Island. It's mid-Hudson River just South of Newburgh, New York.

It looks like it's now being operated under a trust, and tours are being given:

This is where Bannerman securely stored much of the government surplus that he accumulated for sale at his store in New York City...

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Mike,
I think I can say with certainty that #7324 is not a Bannerman piece. The highest SN reported in the Bannerman purchase is #7147. My conjecture is that the last 100 delivered U.S. Test Lugers may have been in the 7100-7199 range. Any number higher than that is beyond doubtful.
Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,
I think I can say with certainty that #7324 is not a Bannerman piece. The highest SN reported in the Bannerman purchase is #7147. My conjecture is that the last 100 delivered U.S. Test Lugers may have been in the 7100-7199 range. Any number higher than that is beyond doubtful.
Ron
Thank you once again, Mr. Wood. I suspected the same and asked the person claiming otherwise, but this solidifies it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While Ron is following up, a question... Have you ever been to Bannerman's Island. It's mid-Hudson River just South of Newburgh, New York.

It looks like it's now being operated under a trust, and tours are being given:

This is where Bannerman securely stored much of the government surplus that he accumulated for sale at his store in New York City...
Hello Mr. E,

Ah yes, my favorite place in the universe. I’m fortunate to have spent an abundance of time there volunteering and exploring alongside my work colleagues and friends over the last four years. The wonder of Bannerman Island is a compelling force in my life to say the least. I could speak on it for hours, but those reading this probably know more from decades of research and collecting than I do.

That being said, as an active volunteer and frequent visitor of the location I’d be happy to answer any questions or ask my mentors who would know better. There’s a lot of folklore and mythology floating around out there, one of them being the wive’s tale that it’s infested with snakes. I’m assuming this was conjured to try to keep curious kids off the premises, though it has certainly failed for centuries. Thankfully now there is a safe and legitimate means of experiencing the site through taking a tour. Tickets can be purchased to see the island from May through October at the website you’ve linked above in your previous post.

I’ve been blessed recently by being asked to serve as the Bannerman Castle Trust’s Volunteer Coordinator in a more official capacity since I’d been organizing work trips as a third-party associate for four years prior. We’ve achieved a lot as far as clearing overgrowth, building and maintaining trails, reinforcing structures, and dozens of fellow journeymen and apprentices of Local Union 373 Plumbers & Steamfitters even had the incredible experience of helping officers and cadets from West Point’s Civil Engineering Department build a composting restroom facility on the island two years ago so the 12,000 annual tour guests have a proper latrine to utilize.

I’d like to add that friend and filmmaker Bayley Silleck has released a feature-length, 90-minute documentary film about the Bannerman business which he spent over a decade composing. The DVD can be purchased and is well worth the watch for anyone interested in the history of the business and the island. I’m in it briefly to discuss another platform I collect—the Bannerman Spencer shotgun which Frank manufactured and sold for 16 years until giving up after failed lawsuits against bigger companies like Winchester and Marlin who’d “adopted” the slide-action design that we’ve come to know today, but that’s another story...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts