Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends:

I saw a different looking pistol yesterday. It was a Bayard Pieper and I guess it was in .32ACP and seemed to be in really nice shape.
I neglected to get a price. Could someone please tell me a little bit about this pistol and what would one guess the value is.

Regards,

George

· Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear Dan:

I finally got to the Gun Shop and had a peek at the Bayard. The pictures came out pretty good.

The attached pictures pretty much tell the story. On the top of the slide is has Brevete SGDG Patented Sept 08, 1908. Serial number is #52449. Magazine seems to be original to the gun.

Please advise your thoughts. Asking $89.00 and will take no less plus tax for a total of $95.45! Left grip panel is cracked so it would need to be replaced.

Any and all information would be much appreciated.

Regards,

George

Download Attachment: DCP_0611.JPG
79.23KB

Download Attachment: DCP_0612.JPG
67.43KB

Download Attachment: DCP_0613.JPG
67.54KB

Download Attachment: DCP_0614.JPG
82.07KB

Download Attachment: DCP_0617.JPG
74.23KB

Download Attachment: DCP_0619.JPG
115.94KB

Download Attachment: DCP_0620.JPG
110.23KB

Download Attachment: DCP_0621.JPG
91.76KB

Download Attachment: DCP_0622.JPG
105.24KB

Download Attachment: DCP_0623.JPG
109.3KB

· Silver Bullet Member
1,704 Posts
From your pics, it looks like a nice little piece. Grips are not too easy to get in the original but, Jim Shaffer 412-672-6830, has sold them to me in the past. Many Bayards (1908), I have examined/owned have a small piece chipped out by the lower grip screw hole. It looks like your righthand grip has this piece chipped out. A very interesting gun to shoot!! especially in .380 cal. very hard to hang on to!!! When they are new, they work perfectly,...but, when they are worn, they have a tendency to double up or even go full auto!! I have experienced that with a .32 I owned. If you buy it, Take the left grip off and look at the delicate sear mechanism. A contributor by the handle Bayard1908, posts on the forum and would probably like to know the serial number.

Dave

· Registered
95 Posts
<<I finally got to the Gun Shop and had a peek at the Bayard. The pictures came out pretty good.>>

The pictures are great. Thank you.

If you don't want this pistol, I'll buy it in a second for that price.

Usually the right grip is the one to break. I can get you an original left grip without any trouble. I can also make you repro pair that looks authentic, unlike what's usually on the market.

I suggest that you check the firing pin. Someone with no skills has obviously attempted to get at it. It may be broken or replaced with some homemade junk. If you don't like the dent in the rear slide plug, I can also get you that part.

Thank you again for the followup.

· Registered
95 Posts
<<A very interesting gun to shoot!! especially in .380 cal. very hard to hang on to!!!>>

My favorite .380 is a pleasure to shoot. I usually get a better group at 15 yards than anyone at the range who isn't shooting a .22.

<<When they are new, they work perfectly,...but, when they are worn, they have a tendency to double up or even go full auto!!>>

I believe Smith's book says this; however, I don't think he speaks from personal experience. Amateur "repair" is the source of the most problems I see on these pistols.

· Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear Dan:

This 1908 Bayard does seem to be a neat little gun. I am interested in purchasing it. However that hole or dent in the rear of the slide and broken grip panel bother me.

Could you please advise what a left grip panel & rear slide plug would cost me. Also what a firing pin would cost if the original one is broken.

Thanks again for you help. I will offer this pistol to you if I decide to sell it.

Regards,

George

· Registered
95 Posts
<<Could you please advise what a left grip panel & rear slide plug would cost me.>>

$20 for the grip and $6 for the plug.

<<Also what a firing pin would cost if the original one is broken.>>

Don't have any at present, but, last one sold for $35.

I believe this pistol was manufactured in early 1914.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.