Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Luger yesterday. It came with this holster. I can tell it was made in 1943 but the manufacturer's mark is not readable to me. My questions are who made it?, who used it?, how rare or common is it?, what is the interior strap for?, why is there no place to store the tool? Any comments are appreciated. I will post pics of the pistol in a separate thread. This forums on this site seem to be packed with people that are helpful, knowledgeable, even tempered, and grown-up. Thanks to Jan for this site. I have already learned a bunch.

Download Attachment: holster01.jpg
128.94KB

Download Attachment: holster04.jpg
129KB

Download Attachment: holster02.jpg
136.51KB

Download Attachment: holster03.jpg
131.61KB

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Looks like a P38 holster to me, but I am not positive.

The interior strap is to pull the gun up and out of the holster, but I don't recommend doing that with an old holster, as it is liable to break it.

Ed

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,321 Posts
Dennis, This is the standard German wartime holster for the P-38 pistol. The maker mark is unclear and I cannot tell you the manufacturer however I have seen the stamp before. It is the outline of a hide. These were issued to all sorts of German Military people. Infantry, Paratroops, Tankers etc. You name it, they had one. The holster is relatively common. They are on today's market often and run around $150.00 to $200.00 in this condition.The strap is to raise the P-38 high enough to get a good grasp on it when extracting the pistol. Ed has indicated the strap can be easily broken and I concur. I get many of these in for repair because this strap is damaged. There is no tool pocket as there was no tool issued with the P-38 as there was with the P-08. Now you need to find a P-38 to fill it up! Jerry Burney

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dennis,
* Manufactured by AKAH...Albrecht Kind,AG. Found on commercial, police, and military holsters per J. Walters,The Luger Book, Item A25, P51.
* Definitely a PT.38 as Jerry correctly ID'd. The logo has been commonly called a "bear skin" or a "leaf" logo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the information. I am surprised that this holster might be worth more than 50$. I had not planned on getting a P38 but maybe one will come my way.

·
11,321 Posts
Garfield, I keep a pretty close eye on holsters and what they bring on Ebay. I am confident if this holster were photographed properly and presented with a good description it would bring considerably more than $75.00.Exactly how much I couldn't say. The value of German holsters has increased to a great extent in the recent past. Old guys usually have low prices in mind as that was what they were used to in a bygone era....Jerry Burney

·
Registered
406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by lugerholsterrepair

I am confident if this holster were photographed properly and presented with a good description it would bring considerably more than $75.00.Exactly how much I couldn't say.
I have no doubt with the proper photography a talented person could turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. I have seen several sellers do so on ebay.

·
11,321 Posts
Bill, I was hoping you would bite on the old guy thing....You ruined my fun by completely ignoring it! There is no doubt that eBay has affected the ability of sellers to get top dollar for their items. It's simply a fact of life. New technology changes many things. Sellers get good money and yet buyers have good selection at their fingertips.

Ron, Thanks for checking it out on the P-38 Forum! Jerry Burney

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ron:

Thanks for the input; I have a couple of AKAH marked "dogs" that I have been embarressed to offer for sale. Interesting to hear that there are folks that care more about the maker mark than the condition of the holster.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sorry, guys. No "bargains" here. You have put me on the hunt. As Akah marked P.38 holsters seem so in demand, I have a couple of gun shows to attend where I will try to flog them for $195, maybe +! If that fails, I will try to properly photograph them and see what I can get on ebay. As Jerry points out, it is simply a fact of life that new technology changes many things. In keeping with that bit of wisdom, I reckon it is time for some of us Old Guys to sell for what the newbies are willing to pay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.