Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Earlier in the week I happened to be in the right place at the right time and stumbled on this beauty. What we have here is one of the 1945 Remington Rands in original box, which was sold through the NRA back in the 1960s. I believe that the green oil cloth/paper is original to the set as well (could be wrong about that however). The Rand still has a bit of the oil/preservative from the green cloth/paper scattered in various spots/surfaces - some of the "blotches" and discoloration that you may see on the metal surfaces are in fact blotches of the oil/preservative which stuck to the metal. Features the slate gray park rather than the "greenish" color and slightly varied upper/lower halves, which is correct for this late serial range. A nice HS marked barrel with slight wear patterns indicating that it is original to the piece, which would be expected. The serial number is written on the outside of the box in a bluish (grease) pencil, which I have seen before on other examples. Just a nice, minty example of a gun that has likely sat in this box since 1945. Enjoy as much as did when I found it!
Rectangle Handwriting Wood Font Paper product

Rectangle Handwriting Font Material property Tints and shades

Rectangle Font Electric blue Metal Composite material

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Starting pistol

Air gun Grey Trigger Wood Gas

Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Wood

Automotive tire Wood Grey Wall Material property

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Handgun holster

Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Grille Brick

Grille Audio equipment Carbon Automotive exterior Loudspeaker

Rectangle Red Font Gas Tints and shades

Bicycle part Composite material Auto part Carmine Metal

Material property Bicycle part Air gun Tints and shades Gun accessory

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Grey Automotive design

Land vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

Hood Product Automotive design Textile Grille

Font Rectangle Tints and shades Electric blue Composite material

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,021 Posts
Poor thing! Brought into this World with one intended purpose and DENIED! Never been shot! Happy & sad at the same time...

• Haha
Reactions: Douglas_Jr

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Poor thing! Brought into this World with one intended purpose and DENIED! Never been shot! Happy & sad at the same time...
Exactly! I think this Bad Boy was destined for the invasion of Japan, but the dropping of the atom bombs changed all of that and relegated him to sitting in a cardboard box for the next 75+ years.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,021 Posts
Just a nice, minty example of a gun that has likely sat in this box since 1945. Enjoy as much as did when I found it!
OK! Spill the beans! Gotta be an interesting story to go with this discovery!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Jerry. Not really anything too interesting. I woke up early last week for work and for some odd reason decided to do a quick search on line. I came across a posting for this pistol which had just been posted that day. I liked the gun and was thinking to myself that "wouldn't it be great if it had the original box." As I scrolled through the photos, I about s*** my pants when I got to the photos with the box! Needless to say I bought it immediately. I doubt that it would have lasted very long on-line. Just probably one of those things that was meant to be. As my post says, I was "in the right place at the right time", literally.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking about how I drove to the Tulsa gunshow this year (9 hours one way), factored in gas, food, hotel, entry fee, etc and several hours of walking to score one nice deal. Compare that to a few clicks on the computer while sipping coffee and it got me to wondering whether I will go through the hassle and cost of going to Tulsa again for essentially the same result. Yes, by going to the large gunshow you get to interact with other collectors and all that good stuff, but I am not sure it is worth the wear and tear at the end of the day? The internet has truly changed our world!

·
Administrator
14,925 Posts
I moved from PA to WA - much less in ref shows. I do enjoy going every or so to the big shows, but I seldom make much money on it, I generally don't have much "inventory" and having a table is a nice thing to have.

·
Super Moderator
4,814 Posts
Yes, the shows are more for the social interaction bit. Over here, gatherings are mostly small and overregulated. Plus I hardly find anything that fits my collecting area. Most of the time I end up picking up documents only.

The internet is my hunting ground, also bogged down with regulations. Takes months to finalize most deals.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Ed ----- Where in WA do you live ? Are you close enough to attend the Kalispell gun show ? I always attend it but mostly to buy once fired brass and other assorted reloading stuff.. I've already spent most of my gun show money on the .45 Luger I've ordered. The show has mostly modern stuff that I'm not really interested in but I have picked up a couple pieces of WWII vintage there that has fit well into my accumulation.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Back a few years ago, there were WWII Lee Enfield rifles wrapped in thick cosmoline. We called them "mummies". Amazingly, owners could keep them that way in decades.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts