Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that is the largest non-nuclear explosion I've ever seen. The videos of it are just amazing. I've seen the explosions made by the "Big blue 82" and it wont hold a candle to the one in Beirut. A ship with amonium nitrate blew-up in Galveston Texas in 1947. It had 23 tons of the stuff on board and it leveled the city.
Pat

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
9,894 Posts
Pat, Yes..I have been following this. Pretty sad testament to greed and avarice. Incompetence & neglect. Pretty much what placed the explosive in that warehouse was greedy dock fees. Beirut officials wanting their pound of flesh passing through. It was a bad bargain.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Twenty-seven hundred and fifty tons of ammonium nitrate in one place. I haven't seen a shock wave like that in anything but a nuclear explosion Unbelievable.
Ron

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Having lived in Oklahoma City my entire life and working downtown, I can remember what a few 55 gallon barrels of ammonium nitrate can do. I can only imagine what it must have been like in Beirut.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
You guys show read about the Halifax Disaster in 1917. The biggest explosion recorded until the Hiroshima A-Bomb.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Having lived in Oklahoma City my entire life and working downtown, I can remember what a few 55 gallon barrels of ammonium nitrate can do. I can only imagine what it must have been like in Beirut.
When I was attending my FLETC (Federal LE Training Center) class we saw a mock-up of the AFNO bomb Timothy McVeigh made for the OKC Federal building. The bomb tech, a retired USN EOD, said he was a poor bomb maker. All the AFNO didn't explode. We were told, if it had- the entire building would have come down.

G2

·
Registered
487 Posts
Approximattely a thirteenth of Little Boy - that is a little bit more than one kt of TNT equivalent...

·
Registered
200 Posts
July 28, 1947 : same thing for the port of Brest after the explosion of the Ocean Liberty (norvegian Liberty Ship). 3300 tons of ammonium nitrate, lubricants, petrol etc...).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts