Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a spare set of grips with rusty metal back plates, but the bakelite is in decent shape. I thought I would remove the bakelitwe panels and try to restore/polish and possibly reblue the back plates. My questions is how does one gently remove the bakelite panels from the back plates without damaging them? I know bakelite can be brittle. Do you know of a detailed procedure or have a link so I can carefully disassemble the grips to do restorative work? Your advice would be dearly appreciated. ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
For some reason, I can only get one apart. The right grip, I use a plastic rod and place it on one of the open metal holes. I grab the bakelite with my thunb and index finger (pinching it), just to hold onto it. Next, I apply preasure downward with the rod and it usually slips off. The left grip, I never could get it off. I have no idea why it won’t slip off the same way as there isn’t anything holding it that I know of.

I use thick plastic so as not to scratch stuff up.

Anyone disassemble the left grip?

**Update**. I can’t remember which panel it is that I can’t get apart. One I can and the other I can’t.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For some reason, I can only get one apart. The right grip, I use a plastic rod and place it on one of the open metal holes. I grab the bakelite with my thunb and index finger (pinching it), just to hold onto it. Next, I apply preasure downward with the rod and it usually slips off. The left grip, I never could get it off. I have no idea why it won’t slip off the same way as there isn’t anything holding it that I know of.

I use thick plastic so as not to scratch stuff up.

Anyone disassemble the left grip?

**Update**. I can’t remember which panel it is that I can’t get apart. One I can and the other I can’t.
T2T, I have tried using a nylon rod to gently push the bakelite panel out of both grips, but it refuses to budge. Perhaps I am being too gentle and not pushing hard enough.

Have you or has anyone used a lube or penetrant of any kind (i.e. Kroil or Ballistol)? I wonder if soaking the grips would loosen them to ease removal of the bakelite panels. I have not used any such product as I am concerned of its effect on the baklite material. Again, I want to be very cautious to avoid damaging the grips. How sensitive is the baklite to lubes? :confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts