1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heeeyyyyy, how you all are?
We're back, yahoo.

Here is a pistol I bought a few weeks ago:
Italian Air Force in the "AA" Serial number index.
I have not yet completed the description of this pistol for my web site, and would appreciate any collector info you can offer to help identify/describe the pistol.
Thanks,
Pancho

Oops, too bad.
Seems that this forum won't accept my photo.
Here is a link: http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos/FV-Beretta-1934-AirForce-AA-Serial-5x100px.jpg

Beretta AA #1.jpg

Beretta AA #2.jpg

Beretta AA #1.jpg

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
Pancho, and I'm not trying to complain, but you have always posted all your photos together, which of course brings the kilobytes up, so your picture you were trying to post was 533 kb's, above the limit by over 200 kb's, so that is why you weren't able to post the picture.

You can post numerous photos here in the same reply, (although, note, that they will look small, they are thumbnails, so a reader will click on them to see them fullsize). Tuco decided on thumbnails, because many people do not have broadband, but dial up, so large photos, although nice can be very frustrating to eventually download.

Ed

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Photo attempt #6.
Cut my photo in half, and tried to add it to my original posting.
Seems the problem remains, no photo.

Will try to attach photo to this posting.
See what happens.

Still no photo, and received following message indicating it was OK
Not encouraging.

The following file has been successfully recieved
Filename Beretta AA #1.jpg
Extension .jpg
Size 321.7 KB
Link uploaded/Pancho/20039323420_Beretta AA #1.jpg
Please click here to close this window.

Beretta AA #1.jpg

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
I am sure there is something else wrong, but it says:

Extension .jpg
Size 321.7 KB

And Tuco has it set to ONLY accept 300 kilobytes, so, that is one problem.

Ed

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
test, again.

Saved Bayard 1908's photos,
and am attemting to post it.
Using Adobe PhotoDeluxe to make file:
Size: 195K
Width: 4 inches
Height 3.198
Resolution: 72 px/inch

Here it goes...

111.jpg

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK,
Ed, thanks for staying with me on this.
I think I might have it figured our, for now.
Again, thanks for the help.
Pancho

Now, for the original posting:
If anyone has any info on this pistol,
then would be greatly appreciated.
Pancho

·
Silver Bullet Member
73 Posts
These Italian Air Force marked Beretta's (M1934 and M1935) in the "German sold to" range are an anomaly. I have the following Model 1934 "AA/BB" serials recorded with the Italian Air Force Eagle: 3960AA, 4810AA, 5303AA, 7410AA, 2623BB, 4462BB. It is possible these pistols were already assembled and marked for the Italian Air Force and were diverted to the Germans, however why are there "BB" 1944 dated slides? I can see 1943 dated slides but not 1944 after the Germans took control of Italy. I don't believe the frames would be marked in advance for the Italian Air Force, but it is possible. I have letters from Beretta on the following two pistols: M1934 #4455AA which isn't Italian Air Force marked, but was sold to the Italian Police on 11th March,1944, this is a "German Range" pistol. I guess the "Italian Police" could have been connected to the German SS etc. The other pistol is a M1935 #505429 which has the Italian Air Force Eagle, but the letter from Beretta states it was sold to the Org. Todt-SIRMIONE-ITALY on February 29th.,1944. These "Air Force" marked pistols are "unique" but there are lots of "other" war-time Beretta's which are a anomalies. David Franchi

·
Registered
70 Posts
Franchi,
these pistols aren't an anomaly. In the northern part of Italy operated the ANR (Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana), the RSI Air Force. Different kind of fighters: Macchi MC 205, RE 2005, Messerschmitt BF109K. The Republican pilots commonly used Berettas as sidearms, like Italian pilots before the war. You can find also pistols without the crown above the eagle, removed from the proof mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts