Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I recently made an ill-advised trip to a gun show and came home with less money, but more Bergmann. Here's #15600.

1619357371883.png 1619357473152.png 1619357515240.png

This is the only Bergmann I've ever seen in person, but from googling around it might be the roughest example on the planet! Regardless, I'm happy to have it, especially considering I paid very little for it.

Jan C. Still's book notes that guns in the 15000 to 16000 serial range were produced under German occupation and lack the usual proof markings, instead featuring a diamond with an apple in the center...

1619357745915.png 1619357777248.png

... which makes this pistol one of those 1000ish guns.

Unfortunately I do not actually own the book, which means my sole information source is Ian McCollum's (excellent) coverage on ForgottenWeapons, so I'm hungry for any more information I can find.

I did not get a magazine or any accessories with the pistol, so I'm on the hunt. If anyone has a magazine they'd be willing to part with, please let me know. I understand magazines can be reproduced using Sig submachine gun magazine bodies but I'm loathe to cut up an antique if I don't have to.

What else is there to know? This pistol is mechanically complete, aside from the magazine, and is functional. If I choose to shoot it, is there anything I need to keep an eye on (ie the C96's bolt stop)?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
We are slowly working on our Bayard book, mainly gathering information. My 10+ year databases extends that wartime serial range quite a bit. Charlie Justmann - Checkpoint Charlie's, has magazines for sale. I do not recommend converting a mag if you have no guide to go by, there are quite a few alterations to be made.

Tolerances on all these AEP BB are tight. Meaning that dirt will easily hamper its function, so cleaning it well will help. Many believe that they have weak springs, but usually the springs are caked in with hardened grease.

This one had a hard life. Congrats!
Anthony

Reactions: trevorsworth

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I sent Charlie an email.

It's definitely had a rough time. I'm used to seeing some guns in this condition but every other Bergmann I've seen online is in much better shape, even one that allegedly participated in the Warsaw Uprising, so I have to assume this gun has just been severely neglected and abused since making its way to the US. Truly a shame, but at least that made it affordable to me, much like my example of its close competitor.

1619371854027.png

I have given it a quick exterior clean up and oiled it the best I can from the outside, but I didn't get far on the disassembly. The firing pin retainer that's supposed to slide out when the firing pin is depressed seems pretty snug.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Its condition may be rough, but any occupation BB is rare, so well worth it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here is a German made holster for a occupation assembled Bayard. This one is maker marked from Hanover and dated 1915 View attachment 646278
How cool! I bet those are a dime a dozen...

I will be looking for more pictures of those. The odds of finding an original for sale are slim but I have a local leatherworker make holsters for all my guns and I bet he could make up a good approximation from some good reference photos. It looks much simpler than the Danish holster.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
wow...that is just super! I agree with Anthony, as rare as they are a German produced on is nice in any condition. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
How cool! I bet those are a dime a dozen...

I will be looking for more pictures of those. The odds of finding an original for sale are slim but I have a local leatherworker make holsters for all my guns and I bet he could make up a good approximation from some good reference photos. It looks much simpler than the Danish holster.
Yes, indeed. Very difficult to find a wartime holster because they are difficult to identify, so sellers rarely know what it is.
The other is a post WWI Danish holster, not really relevant to your pistol.
Anthony

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, indeed. Very difficult to find a wartime holster because they are difficult to identify, so sellers rarely know what it is.
The other is a post WWI Danish holster, not really relevant to your pistol.
Anthony
Yep... I can’t justify spending that kind of money just to have the wrong holster anyway. It is a nice piece but I will leave it for someone with a Danish gun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1623121224081.png
1623121218263.png

I got this holster today. It was listed on eBay as a mystery holster, but I had a hunch. It seems to fit the gun perfectly. There is a name and a maker's stamp on the inside of the flap, but I can't make out either.

1623121589349.png 1623121603789.png

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I believe the holster is for a French 1892 revolver ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe the holster is for a French 1892 revolver ?
I don't think the shape is quite right for the Mle 1892.

I did find two identical holsters listed for sale:

This site says they are for a Mannlicher pistol, but Mannlichers are also a conspicuously different shape and their holsters look different. It mentions a manufacturer's name, researching that brought me back to Lugerforums and this thread here.

Seems it is post WW2 and intended for a S&W K-frame revolver. Both of my K-frames fit in it. Just a coincidence that the Bergmann happens to share their general shape enough to fit in a leather holster intended for them.

I had an Austrian Gendarmerie marked Enfield at one time that this holster (and of course a matching revolver) would have paired nicely with.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
one clue would be the pouch. does it contain loops or is it open? if loops it tends to lean towards a revolver. If its open then I could see it being used for a stripper at which point it could be correctly Id'd as a Mannlicher.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts