Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!! I just picked up my first luger . It came from a guy I've known for a while . His father just passed away about a year ago . He was left with a great collection of German pistols. I told him when he was ready to part with any to let me know first. Well he did , and now I have a luger ! My question is He told me that it was a Black widow , I have a basic knowlege but I'm not 100% sure if this is what I realy have. It is black in color, blk. grips numbers all match, serial # 1792, marked on top byf and 41, has fxo mag w/matching number . Rates about 98% or better. Also came w/a blk holster dated 1941 . Can anyone tell me more about this pistol and if it sounds correct . Value if possible . Thanks for any and all info!!! Stan

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Stan, the "Black Widow" phrase was made by American Luger Dealers and is not a true "variation", that said, they are collected like a true variation, so if untouched, i.e. reblued then it is worth a slight premium. Pictures of all sides and closeups can help a lot?

Welcome to the forum Stan,

Ed

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Stan, the value also depends on the serial number found on the front of the frame, below the barrel, including the script suffix, as well as the acceptance marks found on the right side of the receiver. Photos of these two areas will also help!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help . I will send pics asap . The serial # is 4 digit and doesn't have a prefix or suffix. Thanks again Stan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Their are three ecceptance marks on the right side front. two w/eagles and what looks to be either 655 or 855 under the eagles , and the third eagle looks like it may have a swastika below it. The number under the front of the barrel is only four digits and has a script I think W. Thanks for any info Stan

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Stan, your byf 41 is the more common variety with the SE/655 acceptance marks. The black Bakelite grips would make it some amount more valuable, providing they are original. There are a bunch of realistic fakes out there!!

If you have a 98% fully matched, original Luger, it is valued in the $1200 to $1500 retail range. The holster has an additional value depending on it's condition ($400 and up for a mint holster, but I haven't seen many of these).

Sound like you have a nice new acquisition!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Frank , Thanks for taking the time to help me in my research on this luger. One last question is their someway to tell if the grips are fake or real ie. numbers or stamps ? Thanks Stan

·
Registered
594 Posts
Stan -

If you can post pictures of the insides and outsides of the grips, we can determine quickly if they are some of the more obvious fakes. Actual authentication might take more time and more detailed pictures. I find that a flatbed scanner does a good job of making pictures of grips.

Luke

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry guys I'm still learning how to use my camera as well as trying to post pics on my computer. And my connection is dial-up so it's really slow. I'll try later , Don't have the time now . Thx Again Stan

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Tom & Stan, sorry I missed the part about the matching magazine. That certainly adds $$$ to the value of the Luger!!!

Generally speaking the term "Black Widow" means the pistol has black Bakelite Grips and a black plastic bottom magazine. I saw BW and made an assumption. Shame on me!! This term (BW) really means nothing, but was a sales ploy to sell these weapons. The term, however, did stick!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info guys. My Luger has a silver bottom w/ correct serial # . Maybe a fake ?? or did some come with these also ? The inside of the grips are kind of ruff and a little on the glossy side. Boy I wish I could post some pics for you guys !! Thanks Stan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I need to compress the photos but I'm not sure how or where in my computer I will find this . Thx Stan

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
I am on broadband, if you send them to me large, it is okay, unless you are on dial up?

Otherwise, you can make them smaller by whatever picture software you have. The catch is, if you make them too small (i.e. too small of resolution, they are bad pictures)

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ED, Yes I am on dial up not my fault! I live pretty far out in the country and they just haven't got it out here yet . I'll see if I can figure out how to compress it on my dimage veiwer. Stan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ed, Thanks for all the help, It's getting late and I must be going to bed . Had a real long day. Hope to figure this compression stuff out soon . Will hopefuly get back on soon . Thanks Stan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.