Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one tell if the black grips are original or postwar made? Are they marked, ?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find mention of grip identification on the site, so if it has been discussed already, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Dave

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Dave,
After I read your post, I visited a neighbor who has owned a "Black Widow" for about 42 years he tells me, and assures me everything is original although he is just a general type collector. His grips have no markings whatsoever on the back, but they due have the narrow smooth border without any checkering. I couldn't find anything on his that are really distinguishing...hope this helps a bit!!

Dave

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Dave, also of note is the thread in the black bakelite material is the same thread size as the grip screws. CAUTION here - DO NOT attempt to put the grip screws into these holes since it may chip the brittle material and ruin a nice set of grips.

There are several very good looking fake black material grips in circulation. One such fake also has threaded holes, but of a larger size and can easily be detected, simply by comparing the grip screws to the threaded holes. Most faked grips don't have any threaded holes on the back surface.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.That has helped a great deal. I have one that looks pretty darn good and matches up on a 1941 date, but am suspicious of one on a 42. Do they all have to have the screw holes, and what were they for?
Dave

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Dave, I can't say that all genuine black bakelite grips have threaded holes, BUT I will, say that if they don't, I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole!!!!

As to the purpose of the threads, I have heard several explanations. The most believable is they were used for assisting in the release of the grip from the mold during manufacturing.

One other thought was they were place holders for the grip screws during cleaning. This one is a bit far fetched to me since the grips were rarely removed for cleaning during a normal field strip situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.