Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John, why I made them! I replace about this many per year so I make them in advance.

Reactions: JD

· Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Making the strap into a knot is a process yes, but there are lots of little procedures before and after it is made to smooth & shape it. There is a pattern. After it is as we see in the photo it must be dyed the correct dolor, then rubbed down to limber & age the strap, welted and then lanolin applied. Then the old strap is removed from the holster, a trick in itself! Especially bad is one broken at the face of the back panel. You must have some end strap to grasp to try and pull it out..all upside down in a dark hole. Once you have the old strap out it clears a pocket to fit the new..The new strap must be fitted ..not too long, not too short but just right to accept a Luger. I have made special tools to perform this upside down dark hole surgery. Getting the new strap inserted, the correct length and angle can be a real trick! Then it must be sewn in using the original holes that you have cleared of old thread.
It's odd to me that the German saddlers sewed the belt loops entirely separately from the pull up since the line of threads runs together but they did.
Anyway, it would be an interesting series of photo's showing some of this but it would also take up an enormous amount of time. Not so much taking the photos but them transfering them and posting. I am no photo journalist and much leather work to do so..maybe someday. Maybe knot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts