Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

recently, a very fine boxed Sauer 38, SN 261, 635 was auctioned at Hermann Historica:

http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm48.pl?f=NR&c=31058&t=temartic_S_GB&db=kat48_S.txt

(should the link do not work: it was Lot # 1434)

a mint early Sauer 38 in box with accessories is scarce and very attractive. If you will take a close look, you can discover the yellow cloth (with blue S&S logo) laying in the aluminium box. All is like it should be, all original. The only goodies missing are the manual and the cleaning brush.

Well, after the end of the auction I was shocked (and frustrated) about the price of 4,000 Euro. Add a premium for Hermann Historica of 20%, what makes the total end price of 4,800 Euro or approximately $ 6,000. Crazy.

Who the… pays so much money? An American millionaire?

Since today, I know. My father had a discussion with Hermann Historica today and he asked i.a., which people from which country where the main buyers. Surprisingly, most buyers of the most recent auction do not live in the US, but are coming from….. Russia! The new rich of Russia played a major role in buying collector pistols and they paid every price…… Curious to see, when the first collectors from Russia will ask questions here.

Regards

Martin

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Last month there was a 600 gun collection that was up for auction in Sweden and the Russian beat out everyone. Paid top dollar for everything they went after. And Yes, blew the American and even the Italians out of the water !!! My question has been and continues to be, SINCE WHEN CAN THE RUSSIAN CITIZEN START COLLECTING PISTOLS ??? Is this a KGB party favor???

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
He acquired 79 pistols for the store but all that he wanted for his collection was blown away. Like boxed pre-war Walther HP's for instance ! Incidentially , it will take some six months to one year to get these 79 pistols in country so don't look for anything soon.

· Registered
3,508 Posts
Very interesting!

I'm not into Lugers as much as P.38's and I already have a mint Swedish HP rig. I know he has several of those pistols that are in the process of being imported and there are some rare Lugers in the lot.

Hmmmmm, and I wonder as you do, how the heck do Russians collect these guns?

· Banned
815 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that gun ownership in Russia is very lax. Incidentally, I wince with mixed emotions every time I see an American collector buy choice guns from Europe which are destined to be stamped with the detested importer mark. Sort of like seeing your mother-in-law going over a cliff in your brand new Hummer!

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed,

thanks for your wishes - but I am not the lucky guy who bought it. Unfortunately not. Probably a rich Russian made it...

Martin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.