Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second example is a Walther Model 9. First introduced in 1921, the pistol is said to have continued in production until the end of WW II.

There is a wealth of information about the Model 9 in the Forum archives, on the unblinkingeye.com/guns website, and in videos featuring Earl Mount. I am a fan, but most certainly not an expert by any measure. I would appreciate it if more knowledgeable members would tell me more details on exactly what I have here.

Thanks... Roger

Wal9 1.jpg WAL9 2.jpg WAL9 3.jpg

·
Silver Bullet Member 2012
798 Posts
My second example is a Walther Model 9. First introduced in 1921, the pistol is said to have continued in production until the end of WW II.

There is a wealth of information about the Model 9 in the Forum archives, on the unblinkingeye.com/guns website, and in videos featuring Earl Mount. I am a fan, but most certainly not an expert by any measure. I would appreciate it if more knowledgeable members would tell me more details on exactly what I have here.

Thanks... Roger

View attachment 649786 View attachment 649787 View attachment 649788
Roger,
I could use some more pictures to offer more complete information but based upon the three pictures I can offer the following: Walther Model 9a (Type II) serial number 617736 ??? was manufactured in the late 1920s. The pistol appears to be in excellent correct and original condition. The green box is a source of interest. At this time Walther has introduced the brown "wood grain" boxes with the embossed "WALTHER 9a" on the lid. However, there is evidence that Walther was also using up earlier green boxes so yours may be correct. The box should have an oval label with the serial number hand written on it. Is this label still on the box?
If you could post some more pictures of the box showing the label it would help to establish that your set is complete.
Either way, you have a lovely mid-production Model 9a and an original box with manual which is splendid.

Note that there is no evidence that Walther Model 9 pistols were manufactured throughout the war. All evidence to date indicates that production ended in early 1940.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of your pistol and box.

Earl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger,
I could use some more pictures to offer more complete information but based upon the three pictures I can offer the following: Walther Model 9a (Type II) serial number 617736 ??? was manufactured in the late 1920s. The pistol appears to be in excellent correct and original condition. The green box is a source of interest. At this time Walther has introduced the brown "wood grain" boxes with the embossed "WALTHER 9a" on the lid. However, there is evidence that Walther was also using up earlier green boxes so yours may be correct. The box should have an oval label with the serial number hand written on it. Is this label still on the box?
If you could post some more pictures of the box showing the label it would help to establish that your set is complete.
Either way, you have a lovely mid-production Model 9a and an original box with manual which is splendid.

Note that there is no evidence that Walther Model 9 pistols were manufactured throughout the war. All evidence to date indicates that production ended in early 1940.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of your pistol and box.

Earl
Earl, here are a few more photos of pistol and box. Let me know if these provide you with what you needed.

Thanks... Roger

WM901.jpg WM902.jpg WM9B1.jpg WM9B2.jpg WM9B3.jpg WM9B4.jpg WM9B5.jpg

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Roger, that was an excellent presentation(box + directions) of your Walther 9, and Earl's additional information, as always, he puts some substance to the discussion......... The smallest vest pocket made.
Thanks for showing your treasures,
Joe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roger, that was an excellent presentation(box + directions) of your Walther 9, and Earl's additional information, as always, he puts some substance to the discussion......... The smallest vest pocket made.
Thanks for showing your treasures,
Joe
Joe, once again thanks for your comments and encouragement. And you are right about experts like Earl adding a lot to the party by sharing their knowledge.
Roger

·
Silver Bullet Member 2012
798 Posts
Roger,
Thanks for the additional pictures. You have an original green box and manual for a Walther Model 9 to go with your above-average Type II Model 9a pistol. The label with the serial number is missing. As mentioned above, serial number 617735 is late production for a Model 9 to be in a green box. My research shows Model 9s in brown boxes as early as serial number 568XXX (pictured), and brown boxes are standard by serial number 527XXX (pictured). I have a green box with an oval label and an added "9b" ink stamp in the 611XXX range (pictured), so Walther Firearms was still using some green boxes after the introduction of the brown boxes. Thus, your green box might be correct with this later gun. If so, your box would have had an oval label instead of the early "bow tie" label (see pictures).
I hope this information is useful.
Earl

a M9 green box top.JPG
b M9b in green box oval label.JPG
c Green M9 box with bowtie label.jpg
d Green M9 box with oval label.JPG
e M9 and M9b with boxes and holsters.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger,
Thanks for the additional pictures. You have an original green box and manual for a Walther Model 9 to go with your above-average Type II Model 9a pistol. The label with the serial number is missing. As mentioned above, serial number 617735 is late production for a Model 9 to be in a green box. My research shows Model 9s in brown boxes as early as serial number 568XXX (pictured), and brown boxes are standard by serial number 527XXX (pictured). I have a green box with an oval label and an added "9b" ink stamp in the 611XXX range (pictured), so Walther Firearms was still using some green boxes after the introduction of the brown boxes. Thus, your green box might be correct with this later gun. If so, your box would have had an oval label instead of the early "bow tie" label (see pictures).
I hope this information is useful.
Earl

View attachment 650186 View attachment 650187 View attachment 650188 View attachment 650189 View attachment 650190
Earl, thanks for your response and the continuing free education you provide. Your collection, and great pictorial examples you can share are a benefit to all Forum members.
Roger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts