Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to Lugers, but may have a chance to get a 1914 Erfurt. Thing is, there is no serial number or any derivitives anywhere on it. As I can not find anything like this on the internet, I am curious what variation it might be?

·
Administrator
15,519 Posts
Conrad, welcome to the forum!

Sometimes you see a gun with no serial number on it, and people call this a lunch-box special (literally parts stolen and brought home via lunch-box or other means).

Lugers not having a serial number, espcially from 1914 is very rare if not unlikely. A serial number should be on the front of the frame, and would be a 4 digit number. The last two will be all over the gun, as erfurts were made JUST for the military. If there are none, then either they have been buffed out during a reblue or taken off on purpose and I would steer clear of it.

If you can see it, take many pictures, then post them here, we will give you feedback. (See assorted pictures posted here for military serial locations, or do a search and see 1914 erfurts).

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's where it gets interesting. As I am both a LEO and a military gun collector, I am familiar with both re-blues and altered guns, and this appears to be neither. OTOH, the gun used to belong to a big city PD officer (throw down?), and the family has no idea about it's history. So, if anyone has any more info, I'd be glad to hear it. As of now, it appears to not be a "collectible" version and could affect my offer...hehe.... One more thing, it does have what appears to be a hand stamped set of initials on it. On the left side it J.J.,the right D.D. and a single J. and D. brackets the 1914 date. Other than that, it appears to have the many numerous Erfurt crown stampings all over it, as well as some letters under the wooden grips. Either way it is a good condition nice representation of an early Luger.... What's a reasonable value for such a piece?

·
Administrator
15,519 Posts
"shooter" lugers go from $400-$550, depending on where you live, more expensive in California, less expensive in some other states...

BTW; I'm still in the FOP, although retired from the army MP's.

ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.