Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the most uncommon Italian pistols, developed by “Meccanica Bresciana già Tempini” in order to replace the “Pistola Automatica Modello 1910”, known worldwide as Glisenti. No info are available on production data, estimed in 12000, and in serial numbers. Italian collectors call it Brixia, latin name of Brescia, but official choice was “Pistola Automatica Modello 1912”. There is an official handbook of the Navy titled “Pistola 1913 Modello Regia Marina” (1913 Pistol Royal Navy Model). The improved Brixia mechanism allowed it to shoot 9 mm parabellum ammo. I’m trying to create a serial number data base. My Brixia is #D860, while Jan Still in Axis Pistols shows #C507. I have seen #C392 and #C647.
Brixia owners in the Forum, please post here your serial numbers!
Loriano

Download Attachment: mia brixia.jpg
298.74KB

My "Brix" rig. Below: different internal mechanism between Brixia (above) and Glisenti

Download Attachment: Cartella rimossa.jpg
156.63KB

Download Attachment: chiusura glisenti.jpg
155.07KB

·
Registered
839 Posts
Loriano,
I am glad someone is collecting info on these interesting pistols. I don't have one in my collection and have only seen a few for sale here. Have you found any information that these were purchased or used by the Italian army? I have read that they were used and I have read that they were only tested but not authorized.
Another question if I may, have you seen any Glisenti or Brixia with the Crown over RE markings? Do you know when the practice of marking handguns with the Crown/RE started?
Dean Gizzi

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Dean!
About your questions: I've never seen a Brixia or a Glisenti crown/RE marked. They usually bear only inspector markings. Some Brixias were anchor marked from the Navy, but they are quite scarce. Brixia was developed after the 1910-1911 colonial wars in Africa, when we realized that Glisenti mechanism was too weak. But there was no time: war stopped model changing. I believe that all Brixias were forced into service. A further version was developed after the war. We call it Model 1920 and it is a long barrelled version with serrated grip and holster stock broomhandle style. Extremely rare, perhaps no more of 2 dozens produced. Again: crowned RE was first punched on Beretta 23.

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
loriano
Thanks for your excellent Glisenti photographs. These Brixia and Glisenti photographs were on the old Forum before it was destroyed. Am reposting them below.
Jan

Download Attachment: 1B.jpg
32.7KB
Figure 1B. Left side, Brixia, serial number C 507.

Download Attachment: 2b.jpg
32.97KB
Figure 2B. Right side, Brixia, serial number C 507.

Download Attachment: 3b.jpg
34.63KB
Figure 3B. Front of frame and bottom of barrel, Brixia, serial number C 507.

Download Attachment: 1936 Army, Police 04-21-2003 171.jpg
27.09KB
Figure 4B. Top hallmark, Brixia, serial number C 507.

Download Attachment: 1.jpg
39.59KB
Figure 5G. Left side, Glisenti, serial number F / 1697.

Download Attachment: 2.jpg
35.01KB
Figure 6G. Right side, Glisenti, serial number F / 1697.

Download Attachment: 3z.jpg
49.83KB
Figure 7G. Details right side, Glisenti, serial number F / 1697.

Download Attachment: 4.jpg
33.65KB
Figure 8G. Front of frame and bottom of barrel, Glisenti, serial number F / 1697.

Download Attachment: 5.jpg
33.81KB
Figure 9G. Top hallmark, Glisenti, serial number F / 1697.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PAOLO
Thanks for your data: Three Brixias for a single collector! It's difficult to find one, so three....E307 is highest number at this moment.
Jan
Beautiful photos. Your Glisenti has wood checkered grips. They were introduced into service in 1912 (the left grip was too weak) so your pistol as a post 1912 production or grips were arsenal replaced after breakage
Loriano

B

·
0 Posts
Ah! The "TM" in a circle - same inspector mark I found on a full size (9rd.) Ruby pistol. The 7rd. Rubys were "RP" marked.

Sorry - I am interested in the Spanish made pistols that went to Italy during WWI.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Here is my Glisenti. The serial number is L1296. It has the chip at the corner of the left grip. I would guess this is from disassembly.
Hey Loriano, do you have extra wood grips? I have a friend whos Glisenti has a left grip that is broken in half and he can't find original grips.
Dean

Download Attachment: GLIS.jpg
82.18KB

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Dean,
I hope you have better luck with those grips for your friend... I have been looking for the black plastic/hard rubber grips for 42 years!! I can't even find a Glisenti that has been broken down for parts!!

Dave

·
Registered
839 Posts
Dave, I know what you mean! I was hoping Loriano might have better luck in Italy with the wood ones.
Loriano,
Maybe you can help me figure this out. I have read that the wood grips were on the later pistols while the early ones had the black ones. I have also read that the enlisted mans pistol had the wood ones and the officers had the black ones. Were the wood ones put on the pistols at the factory or added by the military as replacements?
Thanks for any info on this.
Dean

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave,
I'll take a look around. It's not impossible to find. I know one or two armouries specialized in spare parts. If I find the grips I'll e-mail you.
Bob
we imported a lot of pistols and revolver from Spain in WWI. I wrote an article on a monthly journal, "ARMI MAGAZINE", with production data and known gunmakers. If I find it I'll scan the pages to you (sorry, you must learn Italian!).
Dean,
really a nice gun, in beautiful shape. About your question: you're right, hard rubber grips (ebanite, a new material) on early pistols, wood grips later. This occurred in 1912 because, as I wrote, left grip has an unlucky profile at the corner (you know it). Only officers and NCOs were armed with handguns, semiauto or revolvers (Bodeo). Machine gunners and Military Police too obtained official pistols (usually revolvers). Wood grips were put on pistols at the factory or were arsenal replacement, but there was a large number of ebanite grips and we used them after 1912 on many pistols.
Loriano

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Loriano,
Great info!!. I hope you can find those black grips....I have really searched all the gun parts places around... I even used to cut up confiscated pistols for the Police Dept. Never found a Glisenti!!
Regards,

Dave

B

·
0 Posts
Loriano - I would love to see a copy of your article. I do pretty well reading French, Spanish, and I wade my way through some Dutch, so the Italian shouldn't be too hard to read. Actually, some of the roughest reading I have ever had was some British journals; some of that "Queen's English" is a bit hard to wade through ----

·
Registered
30 Posts
Loriano,

The S/N of my Brixia is C576. It has a crown DS stamped at the rear of the trigger guard & on the magazine.

Cliff

E

·
0 Posts
loriano
I' m sorry for my first response to your question (brixia data base)in the bad place.So I tell you back the sn of the Brixia:E 747
In other respects it is possible to find on internet those sn in addition to yours A 762,A 838,B 896,E 307 and E 565

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello Loriano

In case you are looking serial number data on the M1910 Glisenti , I recently picked up serial number 1451M

Best regards. Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts