Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone ID this,Date?Year?ser 19912,Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf^/n,Crown U,H Mapchner Regehsburg.The grips have been sanded and varnished. other than that its all matching including stock hardware. I can not find anything about it. TIA

Download Attachment: Lileys 088.jpg
78.15 KB

Download Attachment: Lileys 089.jpg
75.6 KB

Download Attachment: Lileys 090.jpg
69.86 KB

Download Attachment: Lileys 087.jpg
71.77 KB

·
Registered
734 Posts
John
Difficult to tell from your pictures, however your broom may be a 1920 rework of an imperial red nine(serial numbers from 1 to about 140,000). I think I can see in one of your pictures an imperial acceptance mark(crown over gothic J or W) on right receiver flats just behind barrel rounds. Also what appears to be a rather flat ramp under the rear sight suggests a 50 to 500 rear sight(cannot see numbers) characteristic of red nine. The sanded grips are found on the red nines whose barrels were sleeved to .30 cal(rather than shortened) in conforming to the Weimar regulations prohibiting 9mm barrels longer than 4 inches. One can sometimes see parts of the residual red nine still on the grip surface (assuming original numbered grips). These guns frequently bear police markings which may account for the Regensburg notation. Also these reworks may retain the original 9mm follower with shallow milled-out area on follower top. Lots of conjecture from my distant viewing of your broom, but gives you some things to look for.
BRegds,John

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jcoe,thanks for reply,its not 9mm,its 30 mauser.the mark is a crown U on the left flat, the right flat has a crown and under it looks like a bug?underside of barrel on the slide flat are stamped a star M or W,the letters T O S J stamped helter skelter,a gothic L,and a very very small eagle with tiny numbers under it.can not read it. even with a loop.the sight is 50 to 500.crown U on top of slide pull. on the hammer is a large S with a smaller n stamped in the middle of the S.someone sugested that H.Mapchner Regensburg may have been a gun dealer? sorry for being so long winded.also what is the button on the right side for that slids and is spring loaded? TIA John

·
Registered
734 Posts
Crank
It would appear to be a 1920 rework of Red Nine where the original 9mm barrel was sleeved to its present .30 cal. The sleeve can probably be seen if you look carefully at the muzzle. I will send picture of a muzzle with sleeve later. The right receiver proof appears to be imperial proof, and other features ( 50-500 sight bar, N/S safety, serial number ,) are consistent with an original red nine configuration. Nine mm ammo is bad news in .30 cal C96, so the red nine grips were sanded down to remove the red nine designation . The spring loaded button on right side is bolt block and retains bolt. Firing pin runs thru a hole in it and spring action is provided by the firing pin spring.
John

·
Registered
734 Posts
Crank

Download Attachment: Mvc-002f.jpg
51.73KB
Figure one. A former Red Nine with original 5.5 inch barrel that had been sleeved with .30cal liner to conform to Weimar restrictions on 9mm barrel length. Marked with 1920 Weimar acceptance and weapon number.Grips sanded down to remove "nine" and varnished.

Download Attachment: Mvc-001f.jpg
43.17KB

Figure two. Muzzle of this C96 with faintly discernable crest of the sleeve seen. Enough to catch your fingernail.

Download Attachment: Mvc-003f.jpg
44.88KB

Figure three. Right grip of this C96 sanded down to remove former red nine. Top of nine still visible (arrow).

Download Attachment: Mvc-005f.jpg
38.32KB

Figure four. Another sleeve on muzzle of bolo that had been re-barreled and sleeved to .30cal.

Download Attachment: Mvc-007f.jpg
29.99KB

Figure five. Imperial acceptance mark found on WW1 accepted C96 i.e. The Red Nine contract(serial 1-130k) and Wartime Commercial(serial 290k-434k).
John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.