Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this BHP rig from a vet's estate yesterday with 2 other pistols, pistol #177543 is matching, it is in excellent condition, it came with 2 140 marked mags and a 1942 cgn holster, the only issues is the front sight blades is missing. I need to find one to fix it, were they just pressed in or soldered?

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice rig! Nice pick up!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The front sight is staked in. It has a "tail" that sticks through the hole and is flared to secure it in place.

The front sight of a 1911 is secured in the same way. A friend, now deceased, was one of the best 1911 gunsmiths in the country. He would use a small amount of Accra-glass bedding gel on the underside of the sight blade, insert the blade and set the slide upside down in a jig he had made especially for the job. Then he'd use a short section of a '98 Mauser barrel and a hammer to flair the tail. His front sights stayed on and the Accra-glass was invisible.

·
Registered
311 Posts
In Anthony Vanderlinden's Browning pistols book he states that front sights on High Powers made during the occupation could fall out or are brittle due to worker sabotage. It appears this High Power may have been a victim of that. He also stated that springs could break, no doubt due to brittle conditions from sabotage. I almost bought a Occupation High Power rig years ago that had a broken trigger spring. Price was out of reach for me at the time or I would have got it.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
A very nice H.P. rig.....A nice bonus with the marked mags. A must rig in any war time collection!
Thanks for showing,
Joe

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You may want to consider making the front sight instead of trying to find one. I get a request for one about once a month or so... Those that were available have long disappeared.

Anthony

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You may want to consider making the front sight instead of trying to find one. I get a request for one about once a month or so... Those that were available have long disappeared. Anthony
That brings up an interesting point. I have a 1976 Hi-Power that was released from service by the Israeli military. The pistol is all matching and the bore is excellent. The finish is badly worn, apparently having been carried a LOT.

The rear sight has been dinged and I'd like to replace it. It appears to be the same as the OP's rear sight. However, I'm having a real problem finding a factory rear sight. I've searched all the usual parts suppliers and even asked on the Hi-Power forum but without success. You would think that a gun made in the millions would have parts available but that isn't the case with sights. Lots of aftermarket adjustable sights but no factory sights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts