Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Peter, these mixed Waffenamt Mark byf 41 Lugers were the transition between the inspector E/655 to E/135. The earlier byf 41 inspections were during the time of the E/655, then in late 1941, early 1942 the change to inspector E/135 took place. For your Luger, the initial pistol inspections were under the watchful eye of E/655 and the final inspections were the responsibility of inspector E/135.

This transition is a fairly rare one. The number of Lugers produced with these markings is not known.

Looks like you have a winner!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I couldn't see the letter under the frame serial number (6420) on the byf 41 in the pictures posted. I have byf 41 #4877 v and it has both 655 stampings. I would presume that yours is a LATER mfg. when the transition of inspectors took place? Can you confirm yours is a "v" or later mfg. pistol?

G

·
Chuck
The 41-byf was born in the - n - block and was produced in the o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z, no suffix,
a and b blocks. The no suffix, a and b blocks were transition blocks with the 42-byf. If you find a 41-byf in the - n - block it's a fairly rare gun. Most of the - n - block was filled with 1940-42 and 41-42 Lugers. As Frank says, the 655 -135 transition 41-byf is a nice find for any collection.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for the heads up gentleman on the progression of the "byf 41" serial numbers/lettering....can you tell me if an aluminum-bottomed mag with NOTHING stamped on it would be acceptable for this pistol as that is how it cam to me. I have since picked up a mint P08/fxo/37 mag with a plastic bottom for it and wonder which might be the more correct one to display with it and which to keep in the holster.

Happy Holidays..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks Frank....the fxo looks really nice in there also sice this pistol has the black plastic grips....but I forgot to mention that the aluminum bottomed one that came with the pistol about 18 years ago is not marked in any way, on the tube or the bottom. The bottom is held in with a single pin, and I think the best description of this would be the "1923" Type I saw a pic of in the Harry Jones book.

Would this have been possibly issued with the pistol or is it just what was acquired by German troops, GIs after the war, or a PO here in the states?

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Chuck, the only magazines issued with your pistol would be marked "fxo" and would have the pin going through the center of the concave portion of the bottom, just like the black plastic bottom magazine.

Your other magazine could have been substituted by any number of people, ranging from the original owner of the pistol to the last owner.

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Chuck, the only magazines issued with your pistol would be marked "fxo" and would have the pin going through the center of the concave portion of the bottom, just like the black plastic bottom magazine.

Your other magazine could have been substituted by any number of people, ranging from the original owner of the pistol to the last owner.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks again Frank....I'll keep a couple fxo 37 mags in the Black Widow and the holster, and set that 1923 aluminum one aside, I'm sure someday if I'm lucky I'll run across a luger that this would be appropriate for. Any ideas what the blank aluminum mags were supposedly used for? It looks like the mag in my Police Rework that IS numbered to that gun, so if I can acquire a decent Police Holster, perhaps I will display that mag in that holster.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks again Frank....I'll keep a couple fxo 37 mags in the Black Widow and the holster, and set that 1923 aluminum one aside, I'm sure someday if I'm lucky I'll run across a luger that this would be appropriate for. Any ideas what the blank aluminum mags were supposedly used for? It looks like the mag in my Police Rework that IS numbered to that gun, so if I can acquire a decent Police Holster, perhaps I will display that mag in that holster.

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Chuck, I'm not sure which Luger variety your blank aluminum bottom magazine would match. Perhaps a photo of the sides and bottom would help provide some clues. Some of these blank bottom magazines are from an armorers kit, which would be used as a resupply for lost or damaged magazines.

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Chuck, I'm not sure which Luger variety your blank aluminum bottom magazine would match. Perhaps a photo of the sides and bottom would help provide some clues. Some of these blank bottom magazines are from an armorers kit, which would be used as a resupply for lost or damaged magazines.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Frank, I'll have to email you a couple pics as I can't resize the ones I have and they are over 300k. Hopefully you can resize and post them for further identification...

It's an aluminum tube, single rivet, blank bottom, otherwise it's EXACTLY like the aluminum bottomed mag in my police rework and that mag is numbered to the pistol, has a "1" and E/swastika/D stamp on it.

If it has no other "assigned" duties and is not better suited to any other luger, then I might as well keep it until I can get a decent Police holster to display it in....no markings, but the SAME mag as the one numbered to the weapon. Does this seem to be a proper use of it?

Wartime necessities or postwar GI needs put the byf 41 and the blank bottomed aluminum mag together, but if that would have been blind luck, then putting it with the Police rework makes better sense to me, what do you think?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Frank, I'll have to email you a couple pics as I can't resize the ones I have and they are over 300k. Hopefully you can resize and post them for further identification...

It's an aluminum tube, single rivet, blank bottom, otherwise it's EXACTLY like the aluminum bottomed mag in my police rework and that mag is numbered to the pistol, has a "1" and E/swastika/D stamp on it.

If it has no other "assigned" duties and is not better suited to any other luger, then I might as well keep it until I can get a decent Police holster to display it in....no markings, but the SAME mag as the one numbered to the weapon. Does this seem to be a proper use of it?

Wartime necessities or postwar GI needs put the byf 41 and the blank bottomed aluminum mag together, but if that would have been blind luck, then putting it with the Police rework makes better sense to me, what do you think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.