Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HERE SOME THING ODD. I JUST BOUGHT A 1941 BYF LUGGER ALL MATCHING. I CHECKED OUT WITH MY OTHER 1941 BYF LUGER. AND THE SERIAL NUMBERS ARE ONLY 500 NUMBERS OFF!!!BOTH HAVE MATCHING MAGAZINES.
FIRST BYF 41 LUGER 5023
SECOND BYF 41 LUGER 5523
BOB

·
Registered
542 Posts
Robert,
* Coincidental-yes; Odd-maybe/maybe-not.
* Are both mags pairs matching in number, suffix block letter, and acceptance mark to their respective pistols? Are the respective mag pairs of the same style, all center pinned-alumunum based-"extruded" tubed? Are the pairs respectively 122 or fxo marked?
* Are the suffix blocks of both guns also the same? I think they can't be both "no-suffix" block guns 'cause Mauser had given up numbering magazines by the byf'41 no-suffix range!!
* Pictures of the pistol pair and of their respective magazine tube/base markings would be informative.
Respectfully,
Bob

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BOTH DATED 41 LUGERS DO NOT HAVE THE BLACK GRIPS.
I WILL SEND PICTUERS OF BOTH 41 LUGERS THIS WEEKEND.
YOU ARE RIGHT ONE MAGAZINE IS STAMPED 122 EAGLE 37 0 WITH LINES AT EACH END. BOTH ARE ALUMMUNUM EXTRUDED TUBED.
THE OTHER LUGER MAGAZINE IS A FXO EAGLE 37 P-08
THE SUFFIX BLOCK LETTER I CAN NOT MAKE OUT THE PICTUERS WILL TELL
THANKS
BOB

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
542 Posts
Robert,
* Thanks for the pics of your nice pair of byf'41's each w/ a matching mag.
* S/N 5023 is an "o" block and bears the correct maker's code 122 (Haenel) mag. for that block.
* S/N 5523 is a "r" block pistol and bears the correct maker's code fxo (Haenel) mag. for that block. You'll note the P.08 points inside away from the spine. This is correct for the "r" block and was only used for a short time before it was replaced w/ the fxo marked tube w/ the P.08 pointing outside toward the spine in later guns.
* Lugers were produced in blocks of about 10000. Each block was unique as identified by the suffix block letter. The letter is part of the full S/N of the gun.
* So: these two were produced 30,500 guns & about 3 months apart.
* However, just finding two nice, all matching byf'41's including mags available, I'd think, is the better coincidence.
* Thanks for sharing them w/ us.

G

·
The - o - block 41-byf is a rather rare pistol and more difficult to find than the later - letter suffix 41-byf Lugers. Does anyone have an - n - block 41-byf. Old records might indicate that the - n - block was the transition to the 41-byf pistols. Although it was the suffix letter transition, this block contained few 41-byf pistols and was filled with the 1940-42 and 41-42 production. The following - o - block also contained a large amout of 41-42 pistols. In my opinion, the - n - and - o - block 41-byf pistols make a desirable additional to any collection. I have recorded a few - n - block 41-byf Lugers, but never found one for my own collection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.