Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a luger collector and just have Jan's book as reference, picked up a 98% byf 41, Vet acquired, former member of the 45th infantry Division, 157th Infantry Regiment, this gentleman was born in 1925! and its waffenamt proofs are Eagle 655 and Eagle 135, no serial number range and with black plastic grips. it came with a 1941 pigskin holster, 655 tool, fxo aluminum bottom unnumbered mag and a fxo unnumbered bottom plastic mag. What's its estimated value and I've been told by a score of luger dudes that this is a run of the mill war time production piece and that the pigskin holster was a leather substuitude and that the grips should be wood. Give me pro advise guys. [email protected]

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
1,113 Posts
A 41 byf with those mixed proofs would put it in the no suffix range. Maybe that is what you meant. Both the unnumbered magazines are correct. The grips are correct with either wood or black plastic. The pigskin holster I would not be familiar with.
Sound like you got a nice one!

·
2,523 Posts
All matching and in original finish? Please post some photos that are sharp, show markings and lit with indirect sunlight.

You may enjoy our forum FAQ PDF document. Search for "FAQ PDF" and look toward the end of the hits.

I personally like the pigskin holsters, but they are not so common. In addition, some were produced post war by the East Germans - so we'd need a photo of that too.

These are very well made Lugers. While somewhat common, they are also valuable because they are correct with matching unnumbered bakelite base magazines. As mentioned, the grips can be wood or bakelit. Originality is important. Be careful if removing them - many get chipped up near the safety lever. You can verify originality with a look at the back of the grips. See the FAQ.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
pictures would be nice to help give a more accurate value, but the information you have received is correct. One would have to make a lot of assumptions to give a fair value without seeing pics. Nice full rigs of Byf 41's routinly sell for around 2600 at least around in my area. But things like the condition of the mags, the holsters, the gun itself will effect that number.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All other things equal, what's the price differential between a wood grip and bakelite grip byf 41? I know everybody loves the Black Widows!

·
2,523 Posts
For me, no price difference.

In fact, the term "Black Widow" was a made-up marketing term from Ralph Shattuck who found it difficult to sell the black grip pistols. Many collectors used to prefer the ones with "proper" traditional wood grips... But Ralph changed that when he coined the term...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looked at a Y block byf 41 today that was in about 90-95 percent condition, all matching including the wooden grips, with a correct unmarked FXO bakelite base mag, which was cracked and missing a chunk out of one side. Nice pistol but felt a little over-priced at $1900, especially with the mag issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts