Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
They might be a light color walnut. Remove the grips and look at the grain on the back. This usually helps me. I have heard of some wood substitutes but don't think I've ever seen it on a late Mauser luger.
Tim H.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
1,227 Posts
They look a lot like the grips on my 42 byf. What is the letter suffix on your gun? I have seen the lighter grips on 42 byf's before but I don't know what kind of wood it is.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I had a 42 byf with original grips numbered to the gun and they were of a lighter shade, even lighter than these. i assessed them as original and walnut. I also do woodworking including with walnut; that wood comes in many different shades, some fairly light.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just picked up this BYF 42 And it doesn’t have the walnut grips it has birch wood grips They are ser# numbered to gun ..my question is Has anybody run across this type wood grips on ww2 Lugers
DO NOT let any oil anywhere near those grips!! They are correct, but lack any or sufficient finish to protect them? Not sure on the wood, could be walnut sap wood, or light heart wood... probably NOT Beech or birch?... Might ewven be Alder??... best, til...lat'r...GT

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I agree with the others, they appear a light walnut but lacking any or sufficient finish. based on the gun it doesn't appear tp have had the chance to be weathered either. I love it! Congrats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts