Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Have seen recently an arquaeological relic in pitiful condition, of a model C-96 with "step barrel cone-hammer", preseries type.
With "SYSTEM MAUSER" over the chamber. Really a rarity, I suppose.
Does somebody know how many of them were issued before the real C-96 production ran on?
Regards
Roberto

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It's a second prototype, appearing about Nov 1895, serial numbers 0-90. The big part of1896 was taken up with pre production engineering with about 110 guns produced partially by machine and hand built. By early 1897 the marketed C-96 was being mass-produced. It would be a very rare gun if it wasn't ruined. I guess now it's just a rare paper weight.
Michael

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Step Barrel System Mausers have been found with serial numbers up to the 4xx's. Mauser hated to waste parts, or was still experimenting, so there is a large transitional period. However, " regular " production of the stepped barrels stopped around #200. Even in Relic condition I would pay $500 to $1000 for such a gun.

Good Collecting

G

·
The change from a 'step-barrel' to a tapered barrel occurred around serial #200 although the highest serial number reported for a 'step-barrel' is around 450.

It would be interesting to report the serial number of this 'System Mauser' pistol and was it found in Spain? Are the grips checkered or grooved?

Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello all,
As far as I can remember, there was access to only one number. Think it was 83, 63 or 88 possible too. Hard to see (????) This number was located on the rear of the bolt, facing the hammer. Long extractor present. Totally rusted, barrel cut near the chamber and a strong blow with something very heavy on the magazine side. Totally ruined and deactivated. No grips, no movement, no magazine floorplate. Do not know much more about the location and the year of the find, but was probably in Spain, about 20 years ago. Could not take a pic at that moment, and now hard difficult to do.
Regards

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Very interesting that the magazine side was damaged with a strong blow. Joe Schroeder has #440 step barrel if I remember the serial # correctly.

When found in a Michigan collection, it was in pretty fair condition, except the side of the magazine was damaged to the point where there was a sizable crack in the magazine well.

Joe had the pistol restored.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can say that most likely the SN is 83. The strong blow was more probably to deactivate and destroy it definitively, maybe in arsenal or by the military. So I guess the damage was intentionally done, and not in combat. Will try to have some pics, even she is destroyed. Be patients !!
Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.