Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Wolff spring kit for a C96 Mauser. The instructions declared that the firing pin spring must be fitted (trimmed to proper length) before final installation. No instructions were given as to the final length measurement of the spring. Will someone please advise how to arrive at this proper spring length? Thank you for all advise. Frank

·
Registered
118 Posts
Frank, if the spring is too long, it will be fully compressed before the firing pin protrudes from the face of the bolt. What I do is put the firing pin & spring into the bolt. I push the firing pin forward as it will go and check the protrusion at bolt face. If it is below the face of the bolt, it wont hit the primer. In that case, I trim the spring a little until the tip of the firing pin sticks out of the bolt face about 1mm. Assemble the gun and see if it will pop a primer. If not, continue to slowly shorten the spring until it does- we're talking fractions of a mm. If you shorten the spring too much, the firing pin will extend from the bolt face too far and may pierce the primer.
There's probably a better way, but I've found this "fit & try" works for me. The Wolff springs are a great way to keep a shooter C96 from beating itself to pieces.
Have fun,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a Wolff spring kit for the C96 Mauser today. I had the same question about what "fitting the spring" means. Upon examining the existing spring and the firing pin near the spring stop, I discovered that the spring does not just slide on, but it is "screwed" on for 1 turn. The thread at the stop required that I file off part of the final coil on the spring. The coil is not cut off, just thinned so it will mate with the thread. After several iterations I got the spring to screw on 1 turn. Perhaps for some, the length will have to be shortened, but my Mauser seems to strike the primers properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts