Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Latest C96 to come in. Versailles modifications, 1920 marked, fixed sights. I'm no expert on markings & need help on ID........

Left magwell has: 2 E. 31. crossed out with ``X``
Frontstrap has: S.Ma.I.2.13.0.
Brown Leather Holster has ( on back ): S. Kö.I.M 40.3.

I guess it's a Police pistol.......

MARK

Download Attachment: DSCN3976.JPG
13.99KB

Download Attachment: DSCN3977.JPG
26.54KB

Download Attachment: DSCN3938.JPG
44.29KB

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,519 Posts
Mark,

The cancelled mark on the left side of the mag well is an Imperial Army unit mark. I don't know squat about these. I hope someone who does will chime in.

The grip strap mark on the pistol is for the Schutzpolizei Marienwerder District, Hundertshaft I, Precinct 2, weapon 130. I believe the last digits are 130 and not 13.0 but I could be wrong. If it is the latter, I can't really explain the 0. Marienwerder is in the west part of the Weimar province of East Prussia and is mentioned only in the 1922 Prussian marking orders. The 1932 orders omit it. I have a database of over 550 Weimar police unit marks and it contains only one mark (probably)from this district. The mark is Ma.643 (no S.) and is on a 1916/1920 dated Luger. It is on p. 125 of Jan Still's "Weimar Lugers."

The holster mark is for the Schutzpolizei of the Köln (Cologne) district, Hundertschaft I, (don't know what M240 is...I think I see a 2 in this mark), weapon 3. Köln is in The Rhineland, on the other side of Germany. The district is listed in both the 1922 and 1932 marking orders. It's not at all clear that the pistol and the holster saw service together.

I hope this helps. If possible, I would appreciate knowing the serial number of the pistol for my database. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Don,

A great thanks for this very informative info on this pistol's history. I guess a lot of those 1920 C96 were Police used during the Weimar Era...This pistol's SN is 119699.

Any idea how it got matched to this holster ?? Both coming from distant locations...

MARK

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Don,

A great thanks for this very informative info on this pistol's history. I guess a lot of those 1920 C96 were Police used during the Weimar Era...This pistol's SN is 119699.

Any idea how it got matched to this holster ?? Both coming from distant locations...

MARK

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,519 Posts
Mark,
I suppose we could fabricate all sorts of scenarios about the marriage of this pistol and holster but I really can't think of any one that would be more than rank speculation. It's quite possible that they were brought together by a collector.

What is your take on my readings of the marks from the photos? Do you agree or do you feel your posted versions are correct?

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,519 Posts
Mark,
I suppose we could fabricate all sorts of scenarios about the marriage of this pistol and holster but I really can't think of any one that would be more than rank speculation. It's quite possible that they were brought together by a collector.

What is your take on my readings of the marks from the photos? Do you agree or do you feel your posted versions are correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.