Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all:
I'm new to the group and I recently purchased a 1913 DMW Luger all matching (includes grips)except for mag. Can someone tell me what I have? Serial number is 4983A. Also looking for matching numbered mag.
Thanks
Don

Download Attachment: serial1.jpg
11.76KB

·
Registered
594 Posts
dodge15 -

Welcome to the forum. Hard to discern much from the single picture. Could you post pictures of the entire gun and markings, especially the serial number underneath the barrel? I'm sure that we have lots of folks here who can help.

By the way, finding a matching magazine is a daunting, if not impossible, task.

Luke

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Dodge15

You have a very nice 1913 Military luger serial number 4983(a).

Estimated production according to still"s Imperial lugers was 35,000.

Your particular luger appears to be all correct, and has a unrelieved sear safety and lacks the stock lug which is correct for the 1913.

The 1913 started production in the no suffix range so your luger is approximately the 15th thousand DWM luger produced with the 1913 chamber date.

DWM was the manufacturer and produced a finer finish than the Royal Erfurt arsenal.

Has the luger a holdopen from factory or has the luger been modified with a holdopen, this is the device which holds the toggle back when last fired or when you pull back toggle by hand and the toggle train stays upright.

Does the luger have any markings on the grip straps.

Your grips appear to be very worn so shows use, do not change these as you stated you have originall one's, your left grip is chipped by the safety and this is common as removal usually weakens the small milled out area that goes around the safety.

Do a search on this forum using 1913 as your key words and you will see several 1913 DWM and Erfurt lugers

On the front of your luger on the trigger guard your picture shows two markings, are these a w or an imperial eagle, can you post a closeup of these please. This would be the fourth photo of your second post

Have changed my post due the following picture that shows barrel has been replaced and all barrel stamps are through the blue ( halo around all fonts)

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Dodge
Based on your photographs, your 1913 DWM Luger looks correct. Your barrel has the following (with proper halo) on its bottom.
Bo
4983 (is the second digit a 6 or an 8? If a 6 it is mismatched)
a
In addition, the barrel should have a test proof (Eagle) on the upper right side and a two digit number after the Bo indicating the hardness of its Bohler steel barrel.
Lou has a good point on the barrel serial number.
Jan

See the below post for comparison:BAVARIAN 1913 DWM, SN 817a, B.5.Ar.3.30. Jan C Still http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3139

·
Registered
594 Posts
I strongly suspect that the 3rd digit on the underside of the barrel is an "8" and not a "6" and that the appearance of a "6" is just an artifact of the lighting and camera angle.

To answer one of lugerlou's questions for you; the gun does not have a retrofit holdopen, a fact that is in clear in the last picture. The retrofit holdopen would show on the right rail of the receiver if it were there. Pictured below is a 1911 DWM right-side rail with the retrofit holdopen pin showing.

Download Attachment: 1911 DWM, Holdopen Retrofit & Proof.jpg
43.38 KB

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,234 Posts
I'm with Luke, the barrel looks good to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is an additional photo of the area below the barrel ( a very difficult area to photograph I might add)! No markings on the grip straps. There is an eagle upper right on barrel. However I can seem to find any numbers next to the Bo mark. Am I not looking in the right area? Barrel number does match gun.

Download Attachment: luger6.jpg
237.26KB

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,234 Posts
I still think it's good. But then I am encumbered somewhat, as my wives often point out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
dodge15 -

I too am puzzled by the absence of numbers beside the "Bo" marking. I own 4 Lugers with this type of Bohler steel barrel, and all of them have numbers associated with the "Bo" identification. These numbers on my guns range from 25 to 29, indicating relative hardness.

Hope someone can shed some light on this apparent anomaly.

Luke

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just looked again with a magnifying glass. Has no signs of any numbers at the Bo mark. Looks as if it's made that way.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
armin
Yours is the second Bo marked barrel that I have seen without the number, Donalds is the first.
It shows that there is a lot of information on Lugers that is not known and a Forum such as this is a good place to find that information.
Thanks
Jan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.