Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago I purchased a box of what the seller said was "luger parts". In the box were essentially several magazines and two complete lugers - both missing sideplates.

Unfortunately, one of the lugers is chrome plated. It is a long- 8" barrel Erfurt 1914 serial number 667. The luger was very well used, with the original grips worn nearly completely smooth...

My question is : realistically, is there a way to remove the chrome plating without ruining the pistol?

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Scott

Download Attachment: MVC-016S.JPG
35.65KB

Download Attachment: MVC-015S.JPG
26.27KB

Download Attachment: MVC-013S.JPG
26.27KB

Download Attachment: MVC-014S.JPG
27.64KB

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Scott, removing the plating requires more sanding and buffing and from the photos I do not think more buffing would do this pistol any good. Chrome can also be removed by reverse ellectrolysis but that is usuallly expensive and some buffing is still needed. The pistol as it is represents an unfortunately not rare historical event, the dolling up of a war souvenier. That is now part of this pistols history. So put a new sideplate on it and enjoy it. It is in its own way representative and you can shoot it in good conscience. I think those grips have been sanded also. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heinz,
I appreciate the information. The reverse electrolysis sounds spendy... any ballpark guess on what something like that may cost? My father in law also has a nice chrome plated luger (complete with capture papers) and he was wondering also. Although, I do agree with it being part of the pistols history. - The chrome just kinda makes me cringe.

Regardless - the pistol has found a good home, although a bit of an ugly duck - it's my first long barrel.
Thanks again! Scott

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Scott, my last work that involved electroplating was over 25 years ago now. I do not know the present cost. You would have to talk to a local plater, who might have other suggestions on a color change.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Scott,
After reading your post, I called my Gunsmith buddy who does some great restorations. It would cost probably about $100. to remove the chrome plating electrically and then a MIMIMUM of $150. to do a period rust blue. However prices go up depending on how much fine polishing he has to do. Good Luck!!! I have already been there and done that!! Sometimes you just HAVE to do it!!

Dave

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Scott, you give me too much credit, I did not have olive drab in mind but threre are some black anodizing techniques. Dave's information is what you need.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave,
Thanks for the pricing estimates- I am still kicking it around - but it obviously helps to know the costs. Thanks!

Heinz,
I was thinking you were poking fun at my potential artillery "color change"... I am a new guy on this forum and all... Scott
Thanks, Scott

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Scott, I bet many (including me) dream of buying a "box" of Luger parts and finding that they Make a couple of guns!

good hunting and nice find!

Ed

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed,
Thanks-
It has been a fun box to sort and clean! Magazines, an abused 1915 holster, the Erfurt "chromie", and (most) of a 1906 Am Eagle #36620, I think it must have been reblued as the takedown latch and thumb saftey are blued... but I am not sure. It looks super clean (at least in my book)...under a really bright light the polished "blue" looks almost like a ultra-rich cocoa brown color - rust blue?.

It only has one side (right) of the grip - but it is interesting for only half a grip. Based on my reading it appears to have been retrofitted, or off an earlier model luger, possibly for an Ideal Holster Stock? It has a 1/8 inch thick +/- steel backing plate, with two small screws holding a thin piece of wood on top and two slots in the steel for the shoulder stock. Does anyone think that sounds right?
Again - only one side of the grip- but interesting.
Scott

·
Registered
98 Posts
Once the chrome is removed, there should be no need for additional polishing that damages the markings. The only metal removal would be to remove pitting. I have not seen the results of a reverse electrolytic plating to remove chrome so I don't know if it will cause pitting but a careful control of the process should not. Once removed, the rust bluing can be done by someone skilled at the process for lugers. The cost of the removal has been quoted at around $100 by folks on other discussion lists. A good rust blue by someone familiar with lugers (an absolute must) can be obtained for about $250-300. If you are interested, I will forward you the name of a good luger finishing and metal worker who may be able to accomplish all that is needed. Good luck in your decision!
Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave,
I would be interested in your recommendations on the the rust blue finishing. You could post here (others may well be interested ) or e-mail me.

Thanks for the information and comments, and in advance for the finishing information!
Scott

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Scott,
If you are interested, I have someone also who does excellent rust bluing...He is the guy who quoted the prices to me.....He does take time though...There is no rushing him!! Now you have two choices...from Dave and Dave!!

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.