Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I know, please don't laugh, mock me too bad, mistake me for a newbie, etc, etc, I have been on the other side of this before and know what I thought. I know it's not Himmler's presentation piece, not the gun Hitler used to die, not taken from a dead officer, etc. I bought this souvenior pistol for what it was, a chromed GI trophy, wanted to have a least one in the collection, it was what they did, what they deserved to do after putting their lives on the line, who am I to question, so I wanted just one. Could I have accidently found a real one. An expert friend was studying the hell out of it, wanting to offer me a profit on my cheap pistol. He is a long time veteran of the hobby, quite elderly so I thought maybe he was losing his mind, delusional perhaps. But he insisted they made them in Chrome and that this may be one. I laughed, just wanted to take home my cool trophy pistol. When I got home I checked the book. Add $350 for chrome as stated in the standard catalog of military firearms, several places among the 38H entries. But I just want to get caught in the hype, everyone wants to, it's easy. But it is a commercial pistol and they could be ordered in nickel or chrome, they must be out there, how does one know. I took it apart. Many parts in the white, two are in blue. But in no place is it worn to blue. Inside the mag and all hidden mag surfaces are in the white. Inside the frame is a satin finish. Some of the white parts show rust, but no blue. The color of the inside makes me start wondering. Even more so, I notice areas in the white in recesses that are machined within frame and slide. This gun looks a little too well done than to have been dipped for a pack of smokes. It was done right, but could it have been by the factory. Of course the eagle N is not as crisp as a blued gun but isn't chrome a thicker finish regardless of who applied it? Please be easy, chuckle if you will, but I have not talked myself into it, but I am left uncertain, what does a factory chrome gun look like, how much more effort could they have put than this gun....

Quick background, I'm a German WWII collector, I have many p-38's and Lugers, some uncommon and I did not start collecting yesterday. But whether this turns out educational or for amusement only, I did not come easily to posting this. So at the expense of only my reputation and the mockery of all my comrades, please comment on my "officers special" :)

Thanks,
Diehard

Attachments

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
From what's passed through my hands in the last 50 years I 'think' you have a GI chrome job. You're getting boucoupe reflection off the gun in your pics. There's nickel, and then there's bumper or tool chrome. Are the proofs under the plating or on top of it?
Mike

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Looks like post-war chrome, applied a little too heavy/thick as much of the lettering appears filled in. If the grip screw is not plated, then most obviously a post-war job.
Tim H.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Few answers / comments:

1. Regarding Nickel, the book shows the existence of Nickel and Chrome finishes, I was not thinking this was Nickel with the understanding that Nickel was a thinner and less reflective finish.

2. Eagle N looks to be under, as does the logo. The serial number is much harder to tell, very deep and looks like it could be under or over, but likely under.

3. I agree the finish is thick, would love to see an authenticated Chrome factory finish to compare. Unless the logos are stamped above on Chrome pistols, I imagine the thickness would show to some extent regardless of factory or postwar.

4. The grip screws are chrome for what it is worth.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
As you already know, any the chances of any such finish being original on a WW2 German pistol are very unlikely. That said, never say never. The fact that the safety is color coded is a good sign. There are some major experts here so I am gonna sit back and learn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.