Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been offered a 1915 Erfurt Artillery; which has been chrome-plated. The seller says it is operable and returnable if I'm not satisfied. Is it worth considering; or has it been completely destroyed, barely suitable as a paperweight? If worthwile, what is a reasonable price multiple compared to an unmolested Erfurt Artillery: e.g. a quarter, half, equal, 2x, etc. etc. Thanks. <[email protected]>

·
Registered
406 Posts
Aside and apart from the detrimental effect that chrome-plating has on the a collectability of a firearm of this type, you might also wish to take into consideration that Erfurt only manufactured LP08/Artillary lugers during 1914, consequently, IMHO, a "1915" dated Erfurt LP08 should be regarded with extreme suspicion.

·
Administrator
13,138 Posts
Yeaman, as Garfield said, it is strictly a shooter, obviously with mismatched parts, an Artillery "shooter" can be had for $600-$800 if you look around.

Ed

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I mis-spoke the date; but as Ed said, it's just a shooter" and I've got a nice shooter--thanks to others' help in times past. Thanks again. Ad

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Hello Doc,

Maybe since Erfurt did not make any 1915 dated P-08's, they spent the whole year putting together this one-of-a-kind 1915 Erfurt LP-08...just kidding of course...!

Seriously, at the bottom of page 92 of Jan's "Imperial Lugers", a foot note states that "...McTague (1990) has examined a 1915-dated Erfurt Long P.08, serial number 6939, complete with a 1915-dated holster and matching stock. He considers it to be original and correct. "

Do you folks know if Mr. McTague subsequently has changed his mind about this piece ?

Have other advanced collectors had a chance to see # 6939 in person ?

Is the concensus on this piece still that is it "not right" ?

Best Regards,

Pete...
====================================
Bulding A Luger Collection, One Pistol At A Time

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Pete
Recently a collector that was interested in this 1915 dated Erfurt artillery (serial number 6939) , took the opportunity to examine it. On examination he immediatley determined that it was a 1915 dated DWM receiver and did not buy it. It would be interesting to obtain detailed photographs of the right receiver and barrel, proofs and acceptance stamps to confirm the above.
Jan

Jan C Still
Site Owner - Operator

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Thanks, Jan for the great update...

I have tried for nearly one year to catch up with this gun and the seller at gun shows to no avail...

Best Regards,

Pete...
Bulding A Luger Collection, One Pistol At A Time

·
Administrator
13,138 Posts
I would guess that the seller being "hard" to pin down, that it'd be DWM proofs.

But I'd like to see it, although I think this isn't the first 1915 Erfurt we have seen come up on this forum? Wasn't there one 5-6 months ago?

Ed

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,727 Posts
Garfield, Greatly appreciate your post. After Jan's and your comments I will also view the aformentioned arms outlet with extreme suspicion.This is a prime example of the value of a forum such as this when there are so many "pot holes" for an honest collector to fall into. Again, thanks!

drbuster

1 - 12 of 12 Posts