Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know a lot about the military usage of the P-08, much has been studied and written on these topics. But, DWM (and others) manufactured Lugers for the Commercial market as well, and many military guns ended up brought home to be 'demilatarized' in the hands of the victors.

I have been wondering for a while, what uses do we know that Lugers were put to in the working American West (I hesitate to invoke "cowboys", because that focuses the question more pointedly than I intend), or other non-military uses? What documented use, stories, anecdotes are there that might help fill in this part of the picture?

--Dwight

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dwight, I will have to dig through my boxes of books. I recall a photograph in a book called "Guns and Gunfighters" that I believe showed a deputy sherrif with a Luger in a western style "loop" holster. I will see if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dwight, I dug out the book, Guns and Gunfighters by the editors of Guns and Ammo published by Bonanza Books in 1982, Originally it was published in 1975 by Petersen publishing. ISBN: 0-517-371545.

On pg 205 is a deputy sheriff and from the clothing it looks circa 1900. All I can tell about the Luger shoved down in the Mexican loop holster is no stock lug

G

·
Dwight: An interesting aside to this was the movie(1980s) Tom Horn with Steve McQueen. It was set in the West about 1902-03..Montana(?). The sheriff character, Joe Bell, was asked about what pistol he favored. He replied, "One of those new German auto-pistols". Maybe it was a prototype Luger or a Broomhandle. Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.