Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again Sirs,

I wonder about the best way to clean the Luger without damaging the blueing, but removing dust, pittings, rust and so on. I am not sure if oil immersion will be enought to best results.

I also wonder how some Lugers show all the waffenamts and letters and numbers in shining white a almost century after. Is there any special way to white them? and most important, what of the codes and letters was originally white (or any other finishing)?

thanks for your opinions and best regards

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hello, and welcome,
First, the beautiful little white highlighted numbers and proof marks are strictly a collector/dealer thing. No Luger ever had that done originally. The only white paint originally on a Luger is white enamel filling in the safety marking under the safety lever.
The exterior cleaning process I've used for 40 years on everything from percussion Colts to Jap rifles is OOOO steel wool and lots of Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner. It works, and it will not degrade the original finish {rust or salt blue}. I use it on $100 guns and $10,000 guns.
Just about everyone has their own "favorite method", that's just mine. Hope this has been of some help.
Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
The white in the stamps and numbers are made by using a type of grease pencil available in several colors from Brownells. They make the stamps easier to see and photograph. Joe.

·
Administrator
13,450 Posts
Mike, we must be 'old school' cuz I use breakfree, a lot of the time, but fall back to Hoppes most of the time, just the smell brings back memories of when I was young :)

Charli, at least for me, a basic cleaning of basic components is enough, some guys take everything apart and want it clean, clean. If you get it fairly clean, thats good enough.

Ed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks Sirs, is the kind of info useful. Any trick about the straw parts. I was thinking in the brass shinin usually called "magic cotton" my mother used to get to polish the brass and silver at home.

A friend suggest to warm som oil to take out the rust and then polish the piece. Is it useful??

Nice letters in the frenchie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any suggestions about how to straw again the strawed parts and how many straw parts are?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
There are 3 pieces on Lugers that are strawed until 1936-37. There are several restorers who re-straw. Unless you're a chemist with the formulas for doing it and a metalurgical oven don't attempt it, you'll ruin the parts.
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts